Winpwn steps: what did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by Zee, May 6, 2008.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I tried to Pwn and although everything went fine -- all the apps that I chose where installed -- nothing really worked. Basically all the apps would start up and then crash. I assume it's a permissions issue but I couldn't SSH into the iPod to fix them so I was out of luck. Anyway here's the steps I followed, please let me know if I missed something or did a step wrong:

1. Restored iPod back to 1.1.4 firmware using iTunes
    2. Launched WinPwn and picked "Browse .ipsw" and chose my standard 1.1.4 firmware
    3. With the iPod connected I clicked on IPwner. All steps were successful.
    4. I clicked on IPSW builder and chose a bunch of apps to install. I chose Cydia, Installer, OpenSSH, MobileScrobbler, BossTools, BossPrefs, Term-vt100, iRadio, 1.1.4 full features (from ispazio)
    5. I built my IPSW custom firmware. That was successful.
    6. I then shutdown WinPwn and restored my iPod to the custom firmware that I just built in step #5 using iTunes. The restore was successful.
    7. All apps appeared on my iPod but nothing worked (when I say nothing I mean all the "added" apps. Music/Video were fine)

Did I miss something?

Edit: I have to say I was REALLY impressed with the interface to add the apps. All the sources there, pick and choose. Great system, very intuitive.

Only minor gripe is that there's no way to cancel a change without losing all your downloads. If you cancel out of .ipsw builder it deletes all the downloaded packages you got. I couldn't figure out how to remove a package from the install list either. I also noticed that if one of the packages fails to download, it seems all subsequent packages you try to download will also fail. Weird.
  2. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

from reading your steps all seemed fine, I tried to do customize 2.0 into my ipsw but that failed to download, I restored my custom firmware just to be faced with black wallpaper and the horrible 1.1.3/4 dock no icons, nothing to press on screen it was a first I must say lol

I am not sure what went wrong with mine as I tried with and without customize added (no errors about nondownload with other apps) and still faces with the default look minus icons very much a puzzler, I had to go back to ziphone
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    First of all it's a beta and not complete yet. Secondly there is a list of apps that work and don't work when not loaded from the actual installer.
  4. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    for now you can't put cydia into your ipsw its a bug, so you will have to install BDS sub for your apps to work

Please Register or Log in to view images

to reply to andybno1 post. ****omize was also a bug in beta 2, but it has been fixe in the newest winpnw (the new includes no new features, just bug fixes)
  5. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Ahhh...that explains everything. I've been so used to using Cydia that I don't even consider the BSD subsystem anymore since it's included. Hope this bug gets worked out.
  6. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i think the bug was fixeed in the newest realese, but im not quite sure
  7. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

cool shall have a look not had a chance to try new build yet
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I tried it last night with winpwn_0.99.2.19.zip which is the latest beta. Didn't work for me.
  9. skaman34

skaman34 New Member

I'm having the same problem. none of my apps are working
  10. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    skaman read the therad?

have you remebered to add BDS subsytem to your ipsw?