Winpwn 2.5's quickPWN

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by r1dePrkCty, Aug 29, 2008.

1. r1dePrkCty

r1dePrkCty New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What exactly does winpwn 2.5's quickpwn part of the software do? does it just change the boot logos without a restore? Does it add cydia or installer? Or does it do both? I ask because i am only given the option to change boot and restore logos, im not given the option to add installer or anything else.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

It basically jailbreaks and gives you the option to change boot logos. IIRC, it also SHOULD add Cydia if you don't have it... although I can't remember if it gives you the option to 'not install Cydia' unless you go into Expert Mode.
  3. r1dePrkCty

r1dePrkCty New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    O thats right i forgot to try it in expert mode. Thanks
  4. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member

can you use quickpwn to upgrade your firmware
  5. Jarlath

No. All QuickPwn does is jailbreak and install Installer and/or Cydia or change the boot logo in 'Expert' mode if you're using WinPwn 2.5 beta2. You have to upgrade via iTunes first, or you can build a Custom Firmware the normal way.
  6. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member

dam i dont want to restore
  7. Jarlath

Look - if you use the 'Upgrade' button in iTunes, it only kills the root partition (applications); everything else (movies, music, anything in /var) stays intact. After that, run QuickPwn from WinPwn 2.5 and use Expert mode so you can select what things you want to do (change boot logos, apply the YouTube activation fix, install Cydia/Installer) and follow the instructions to put it in DFU mode so you can Jailbreak. The only thing you have to do after that is reinstall any applications (App Store or jailbroken) that are missing... and App Store apps can be restored via a backup, post-upgrade.

However... if you want to upgrade WITHOUT the Upgrade button or have a major firmware change (eg: you're going from 1.1.4 to 2.0.2), the Restore is the only option. Otherwise, going from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 follows the above procedure and keeps everything else intact in the /var folder.
  8. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member