Winpwn 2.0.0.4 firmware 2.01 FIX (error 6)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by kentor, Aug 10, 2008.

1. kentor

kentor New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Hey everyone,

just like to let you know how i managed to get winpwn to pwn my ipod touch. After a DAY of trying to get it to work, i followed these steps.

1) kill ALL apple related processes (that includes ones such as 'applemobiledevice' and 'ipodservice'

2) Run winpwn, choosing to install EVERYTHING: installer, cydia and youtube fix. no custom payloads, boot screens, restore screens. i did NOT change the root partition size

3) Run iPwner on your newly created firmware

4) Plug in your ipod (itunes will NOT come up)

5) DFU your ipod. this is best done by holding both the home and power buttons for around 10 secconds, then taking of the power button (so only the home button is held) until you hear the new device sound in windows

6) open itunes and shift-restore with your new firmware

EDIT: this seems to be resolving some issues:
    thanks, piratetom95

hope that helps guys
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    has this helped anybody or was i simply lucky?
  2. USAngel

USAngel New Member

tried it.. didn't work.

i keep trying
  3. kentor

kentor New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    yeah... thats a shame... make sure u leave it conected to your computer for a while.... it seemed like it was going to say error 6 again to me, but instead it resetted and it was working. make sure u have itunes closed and all the processes closed from within the task manager before you start
  4. USAngel

USAngel New Member

When shall I wait? After it said error 6?

(yes i am in DFU, 100%)
  5. kentor

kentor New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i dont think so. i thought that i would try with everything selected so i went shift restore and then went out for a bit.. when i came back it was on the boot screen.. i thought it was going to say error 6 again but it just went to my home screen.

i suggest that you 1. make sure u have the latest itunes installed (7.11 i think), 2. reset ur comp, 3. shutdown all apple related things in the process pane in taskmanager and everything that is not essential.. as in msn and stuff like that.
  6. USAngel

USAngel New Member

NOT WORKING

I give up and stay with 2.0 JB which works perfectly.
    Damn buggy sh*t!
  7. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Try not using DFU. Just shift+restore. Worked for me.
  8. stylz3

stylz3 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I tough I would have fallen into the same error but didn't. I pretty much followed the sticked tutorial for 2.0 and was successful on me first try of jailbreaking 2.0.1. I mad sure I uninstalled the previous winpwn 2.0.0.3 and installed the latest version of winpwn 2.0.0.4. I had my touch connected the whole time but opened itunes only why it was time to put into dfu mode, pretty much followed the stickied tutorial for 2.0.

Also you have at least 500mb of RAM available.

Hope this sheds any light to others.
  9. lancey3

lancey3 New Member

Took me three hours of fiddling to get it done but I finally got it.
  10. DTRocker

DTRocker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I had this same problem yesterday jailbreaking my iPhone 3G to 2.0.1 DFU is different from recovery mode, least when i put my iPhone in DFU you dont get the usual itunes and cable picture it actually doesnt look like it ever turned on, least that was my experience but maybe how it actually looks. But what i read up like usual you Hold Power AND Home the whole time till the screen TURNS ON then u let go of Power button and a few sec later you get the iTunes and Cable image...BUT...thats now how you do it for DFU mode, instead of Holding Power and Home the whole time till the screen comes on...When the screen turns OFF you LET GO of the POWER button, continuing holding the home button and then you iPod Touch or iPhone will ping on your computers iTunes and it will recognize it like it was in recovery mode but this time u can install the custom FW and you wont get the error 6. so instructions:

1. Plug in iPod when its turned on, with iTunes up and running
    2. Hold Power and Home button until screen turns off
    3. When screen turns OFF you LET GO only the POWER button < Most important part here
    4. You should still be holding the HOME button till it pops up on your Computer and iTunes recognizes you want to recover your iPod Touch or iPhone

Good Luck