Winpwn 2.0.0.3 RC1 bricks iPod touch, no recognition on iTunes or Windows

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by raynevandunem, Jul 27, 2008.

1. raynevandunem

raynevandunem New Member

I was just trying to pwn an iPod touch previously restored to 1.1.4 through iTunes 7.5 (although I then installed 7.7 before trying out Winpwn 2.0.0.3 RC1).

However, after following the steps (although I made the mistake of using what may have been older linked iTunes.dlls for Winpwn to use, since it already had the dlls inside as of 1.0), the pwnage stopped midway while using a 1.1.4 restore, and the screen went black. Tried to turn it on with the standby button, nothing happens.

Also, it won't connect to iTunes. No recognition in Windows (the USB sound doesn't ring), either. So when I try to run diagnostics tests in iTunes on the iPod, it won't recognize it. Winpwn also doesn't recognize it, asking me to "connect the iPhone in Recoverymode".

The iPod is connected to the USB and the power at the time was already full. It won't wake up no matter if I hold the home and sleep/standby button combo down for 10 seconds or a whole minute. It just won't wake up for any reason.

I know that this issue is similar to this thread, but I was using the "more secure" 2.0.0.3 of Winpwn. I'm probably more fearful that this may have affected the hardware connection or detection between the bricked iPod touch and the PC that won't recognize it at all.

For the record, I was having issues with trying to put the iPod touch in blank DFU mode rather than the recovery mode with the iTunes+USB icon. While connected though USB, it continued to boot back automatically into the iTunes+USB icon mode rather than the blank mode that it was doing under iTunes 7.5. That's why I resorted to the Winpwn method (which looked conspicuously like Ziphone, another GUI jailbreak solution that messed up stuff like SSH access on the same iPod touch), since I couldn't manually DFU the iPod touch.

Finally, this is a gift iPod touch from a relative, who bought it at a third party rather than at an Apple store (it was either Best Buy or Wal-Mart), so I don't think I can take this to Apple and say that I was trying to legally upgrade to 2.0 (which was my future intention), when I don't even have a warranty with them.

If this comes across as a sob story from a noob, I apologize. I've jailbroken my iPod touch before (even before I touched Ziphone or Winpwn), so I wasn't expecting this outcome at all.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    OK, after the umpteenth try (not literally) with pressing home+standby for 10 sec. and releasing standby while keeping home pressed until you hear the USB sound, iTunes finally opened and the screen went white for a while. Then it went back to black, and itunes was "Waiting for iPod" for quite a bit, then it popped up with an "unknown error (1605)".
  2. jimmybelfast

jimmybelfast New Member

I also had this problem, get the ispw for ipod 1.1.4 and open itunes, press and hold ipod for 10 secs and let go of power key, u will here the usb beep noise, then direct itunes (shift and click restore) to your ispw and the ipod will accept it, bring up the apple and recover

Please Register or Log in to view images

Jimmy.
  3. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

please! do not say its bricked its not, bricked means its totally unusable. your ipod is NOT bricked!

hold the home a power button for how ever long it takes to shut it off. after 2 seconds after its off take your finger off the power button and itunes should recognize it

if it comes up with an error when trying to restore, restart your computer or reinstall itunes
  4. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    if you can get it to give you errors, then it isnt bricked... try the apple store. if they cant fix it, they will give you a new one. it is their product... you can take an iphone bought @ att to the apple store.
  5. jimmybelfast

jimmybelfast New Member

was unusable for that period of time !!!!
  6. raynevandunem

raynevandunem New Member

The ipod is already off and disconnected, or at least black and not responding normally when trying to press the standby button.

The ipod doesn't come on, just the white screen when you home+standby for 10 seconds and let standby go while holding down home for a bit longer. That's what gives the error in iTunes, and it goes back off (not in DFU since, after the USB goes on and off rather quickly, it just doesn't connect permanently).

So I am trying to restore it in iTunes with the 1.1.4 ipsw.
  7. alecgbp

alecgbp New Member

How did you do that?
  8. lakerfanalways

lakerfanalways Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Same exact thing happened to me and before yesterday had my Ipod replaced..your ipod is 100 percent bricked..just like mine was..just go and get a new one..I tried for hours to press the stupid home and power button and nothing worked..so I finally just took it to apple and got a replacement one, bought the 2.0 firmware and everything now is fine
  9. raynevandunem

raynevandunem New Member

Ahh! Finally got it!

Please add this to the unBricking FAQ for those affected by Winpwn:

After it looks like it has been bricked (I mean, no turning on or response with the Standby or anything), press on both Home and Standby for 10 sec., then release the Standby and continue holding the Home button until you hear the "USB in" sound, with iTunes responding "Waiting for iPod".

Then (here's the clincher, so you should do it as soon as you first hear "USB in"), go wherever your 1.1.4 Restore app is located (mine is on Desktop in XP), DOUBLE CLICK the firmware while iTunes is still (early) waiting for iPod. This will immediately result in iTunes recognizing the iPod in recovery mode. Otherwise, it will continue to "Wait" until it gives you the 1605 error.

Finally, Shift+Restore, which takes you to the filesystem to find where the 1.1.4 firmware is located. Open it, and then iTunes begins to install the 1.1.4 firmware (factory settings) on the iPod.

I've unbricked it while writing this just now, so I've just saved myself a search for the box with the warranty and a shipment of the iPod touch to Apple. Yay! Thanks for the responses, although I don't know if the above has been posted before.

Now to get 1.1.4 to go into DFU (not recovery) without 7.7 screwing it up....
  10. raynevandunem

raynevandunem New Member

I saw that on Winpwn as well. Something's amiss about this, since it says "Be sure to connect an iPod" in the video posted by ipodtouched.net.

Thanks for mentioning.