Windows XP reboots when iPod Touch connected

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by cliveb, Aug 4, 2008.

1. cliveb

cliveb New Member

My first post here, on behalf of my daughter. I've done a search but couldn't find anything similar reported.

About a week or so ago, my daughter upgraded her iPod Touch with the 2.0 firmware, and then downloaded various free applications.

Since then, when she connects the iPod Touch to her PC, the PC itself reboots. If the iPod is left attached, then when the PC comes up, it reboots again, and again, ....

System components:
    iPod Touch 16GB, s/w version: 2.0 (5A347)
    PC is a HP/Compaq dc7100, 2.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2

When the iPod Touch is connected to a USB port, Windows does something strange: it reports "New Hardware Found: Digital Still Camera", then does a reboot. (Of course, there is no camera on the iPod Touch, so that leaves me rather perplexed).

The iPod Touch works fine by itself.

I don't think it's to do with the iPod applications themselves, as the PC reboots as soon as the iPod Touch has finished booting (ie. before any application is run), but I can list the installed applications if anyone thinks that's relevant.

I did wonder if it could possibly be the USB ports not being able to deliver enough current and doing something strange, so tried connecting it via a powered USB hub, but that didn't help.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.
  2. rjbriggsy

rjbriggsy New Member

i had this problem too, i found a forum post from the apple site which helps:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4844303

Basically its a device driver issue between the ipod and a webcam.

All i did to sort out the error was to delete some screenshots i had taken and it connected and sync'd perfectly.

Hope this helps!
  3. tylobedo

tylobedo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yes the digital camera should pop up if she has taken screenshots, go into photo.app and delete them, then it should say camera.

Also if she wants the photos just sync them to another computer first or email them
  4. cliveb

cliveb New Member

Many thanks to those who have replied. My daughter tells me that she has indeed taken some screenshots, and she also has a Logitech webcam, so we'll try addressing those issues to start with.
  5. hotwater10

hotwater10 Banned

yes diss connect the camera and delete your screenshots and it shall work

btw why dont you just let your daughter post?
  6. cliveb

cliveb New Member

My daughter deleted her pictures, but the PC still rebooted on connection.
    So then I updated the driver for the Logitech webcam, and now it's working OK - no reboot.
    Thanks to everyone for their help.
    I think most people who have a 16 year old daughter would probably understand why it's easier for me to do this sort of research

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Jakel22

Jakel22 New Member

i have the same problem it is NOT! a web cam issue it is a driver issue! does anyone know where to get the drivers?