WINDOWS: Tethered Redsn0w Tutorial

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by AriX, Jan 31, 2009.

1. AriX

AriX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This was NOT my idea, nor my thread. This is a total rip from iLove's thread at http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137607

UPDATE: Nevermind. This was not iLove's idea. He ripped it from BtbN without giving any credit. Tsk tsk tsk...

I just decided to make it a little simpler, and break down the steps. I am personally not a Windows user, so if I made a silly mistake, please tell me. I was a Windows user for several years, but it's been 3 years since that.

1) Download xpwn nightly from http://www.iphone-dev.org/xpwn/xpwn-windows-nightly.zip

2) Put the contents of the FirmwareBundles folder included in rslite into the FirmwareBundles folder included in Xpwn.

3) Copy a 2.2.1 IPSW into the Xpwn directory and call it OriginalFW.ipsw. If you don't have one, download it from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...090127.rt56K/iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw

4) In Command Prompt, cd to the Xpwn directory and do "ipsw OriginalFW.ipsw patchedFW.ipsw -s 700 bundles\Cydia.tar" For those of you that can't open the ipsw in command prompt, make sure your ipsw in the xpwn folder is called "OriginalFW" not "OriginalFW.ipsw". It already has a .ipsw extension, the .ipsw on the filename is not necessary. (Thanks, -tcq42-!)

5) Boot the iPod touch to DFU.

6) Upload 2.1.1 iBSS, from an extracted 2.1.1 IPSW. To do this, cd to wherever iRecovery is located and run iRecovery.exe -f <insert location of 2.1.1 iBSS here> After uploading the iBSS you need to unplug for ten seconds and plug it back in. (Thanks, Conic!)

7) Use iRecovery.exe -s and run all of the commands listed in the pwn211ibss.txt script from the rslite folder

8) Restore to patchedFW.ipsw with iTunes

9) To boot normally, follow the README.txt tutorial but use iRecovery instead of rslite, and instead of doing #pwn211ibss.txt run all of the commands listed in the pwn211ibss.txt file.

UPDATE: Some people are having trouble with the cd command. Just type cd, then a space, and then drag the little folder icon of where you want to cd into the command prompt and press enter.

He (iLove, not me) will be making a video of this soon, hopefully, to make everything easier for you non-Mac people

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. iLove

iLove Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Thanks for the credits

Please Register or Log in to view images

And making it better.
  3. pavan

pavan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    can any1 confirm this works im not doubting u but some1 said they bricked their ipod 2g with redsn0w
  4. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    this will surely help pc users
  5. Konor

Konor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Im still confused..... What do you mean by copy a 2.2.1 IPSW? I have 2.2 because iTunes wont let me upgrade to 2.2.1 it says an error
  6. AriX

AriX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It's not possible to brick an iPod with redsn0w unless you play around with the bdev write command (and please don't.) You'd have to be TRYING to brick it to actually brick it.
  7. latinoboi113

latinoboi113 New Member

Thank you ilove and Arix.
  8. AriX

AriX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I pasted a link to download it from in the main post if you need it.
  9. CheeseMo

CheeseMo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    where is the xpwn directory
  10. yanks111890

yanks111890 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You prob shouldn't paste a link to 2.2.1 since its part of the 10 dollar upgrade
    EDIT: NEVERMIND you pasted the official apple one

My bad not paying attiention