Windows: Syncing Google Calendars to Your iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rollerz, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rollerz

rollerz New Member

Howdy All,
    I did this yesterday, and while it wasn't the hardest thing to do, it still took a bit of time and I felt like it would be worth documenting.

First up, make sure you have at least one Google Calendar, and Microsoft Outlook.

Unfortunately there isn't anyway to sync Google Calendar with Outlook by default, so you'll have to install Remote Calendars [http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars/], a 3rd party, free plug in that lets you sync with Google Calendars.

Once you have that all set up, add your calendars to the default Calendar folder. (Note: if you have other calendars in there, it may be confusing because it just "overlaps" the calendars, it doesn't necessarily separate them.

Plug your iPod Touch into your computer, go to the "Info" tab, and check that you want to sync Calendars.

All your data should be there!
  2. kdm

kdm New Member

I did the same thing this afternoon.

Remote calendars was a bit tricky to set up but it seems to work ok now.

Now I just have to wait to get my iPod back from apple. (It arrived with a defective touch screen, where a section would not recognise taps =[ )
  3. floyduk

floyduk New Member

I'm using a paid-for program called SyncMyCal to sync Google calendars with outlook. And then iTunes syncs the outlook calendar to the iPod Touch.

Of course it's possible to point Outlook at a remote calendar using iCal and then iTunes is *supposed* to be able to sync just one of the calendars Outlook knows about but there's a known bug in iTunes that means it doesn't see the multiple calendars Outlook knows about. This bug affects the iPod Touch and the iPhone but NOT the iPod Classic and older style iPods.

John
  4. fifo2711

fifo2711 New Member

is there a calendar application other than outlook that will sync with the calendar app on the touch...or perhaps a free version of outlook?
  5. lorenz

lorenz New Member

i´d also need a solution without outlook (and without iCal) to sync my google calendar to my ipod touch

cheers Lorenz
  6. lightworker#33

lightworker#33 New Member

I don't use iCal nor Outlook, and I'm also looking to sync the ipod calendar with any other 3rd party calendar (web based or not), to make sure datas are safely backed up.

Thank you for your help.

Ia ora na.
  7. tallmomfo2

tallmomfo2 New Member

Wondering if anyone has found a way to sync directly with Google Calendars. My Palm died and I decided to move to a Touch. I used a $ program, CompanionLink, to sync my Palm Desktop with Google Calendar, Contacts, Notes, etc.... Since the Palm is now out of the equation in order to sync with Google I have to first make Outlook my default (bleh) email handler (why does Apple completely ignore Mozilla???) and use freeware Google Calendar Sync to sync my Google Calendar with Outlook. *Then* I can sync with my Touch. It's nuts because I can directly sync with Google Contacts but not the Calendar.

Hoping for an app to allow me to drop Outlook. It would be great to see apps to sync with Firefox and Thunderbird but I won't hold my breath.