[Windows] Redsn0w "run rs" Tutorial

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by jfb392, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This tutorial is simply theory, since I still do not own an iPod touch 2G.
    However, using XPwn is pretty simple, so it should work fine.
    This tutorial is simply a modification of my original redsn0w tutorial.
    This tutorial is not for the light-hearted or "n00bs"!

Required downloads:
    XPwn (If you already have it, don't download it again!)
    My runrs bundle (A compilation of the Dev Team's rslite102semi.zip and run_rs_setup.zip, plus my own Info.plist. Also included is the bspatch utility, along with a patch for iBoot's 4cc.)
    iRecovery and libusb (Again, if you already have these, you don't need to download them again!)
    2.1.1 IPSW (Recommended that you redownload, just to be sure nothing is wrong with your current copy)
    2.2.1 IPSW (Recommended that you redownload, for the same reason as 2.1.1)
    WinRAR (If you already have it, you don't really need this version, it's most likely newer though.)

Optional:
    Installer.app bundle for XPwn

Do not extract this bundle, leave it as is and save it to your XPwn-0.5.7-win32\bundles\ folder!

If you issues running iRecovery, install this package from Microsoft.

If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, please refer to another thread concerning the installation of LibUSB on 64-bit versions.
    I use a 32-bit version, so I will not be writing a tutorial for 64-bit users.

If you already have XPwn, skip to step 2!

1.) Save and extract XPwn (make sure you extract it to somewhere familiar, like the Desktop or My Documents).

2.) Save and extract runrs.zip. From WinRAR (or another archiving program, if you chose not to use WinRAR), drag the "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a-rs.bundle" folder into your XPwn's FirmwareBundles folder (which is inside of the XPwn folder you extracted during step 1).
    Note that if you have already used any previous redsn0w tutorial and XPwn, you'll need to delete your iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a.bundle folder, or else XPwn will not use the correct patches!
    As for "bspatch.exe", "bzip2.exe", "bzip2.dll" and "iBoot2.patch", extract them to the base of your XPwn folder (where ipsw.exe, etc. are located).

3.) Save the 2.1.1 and 2.2.1 IPSWs to your XPwn folder.

If you already have LibUSB working, please skip to step 6!

4.) Save and extract iRecovery.rar. Extract "libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.1.exe" and the "iRecovery_SVN" folder to your Desktop.
    These should be located inside of a folder named "iRecovery" in the RAR file.

5.) If you're using Windows Vista of above, right click on the libusb EXE and choose "Properties", then click the "Compatibility" tab, then select "Windows XP Service Pack 2" from the drop down menu located there, then hit OK and run the installer.
    If you're on XP, simply double click the installer.
    If you're on any 64-bit version, see the note at the beginning of the tutorial.

6.) Open a new command prompt and change directory to your XPwn folder.
    I will not be giving an example of this because it is simple and there are too many variables.

7.) Type (or copy and paste) the following into your command prompt to create your custom IPSW:
    Code:
    ipsw "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw" "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore_runrs.ipsw" -s 700 bundles\Cydia.tar

If you wish to add Installer, make sure you have the Installer bundle from the beginning of this tutorial, then simply add "bundles\Installer.tar" to the end end of the original IPSW generation command.

You'll have to wait a few minutes for your IPSW to finish being created.
    When it is done, you a blinking "_" should return to your command prompt.
    Do not close the command prompt!

8.) Open your custom IPSW using WinRAR (it is located in your XPwn folder, right click it and choose "Open With > WinRAR".
    Open the "Firmware" folder, then "all_flash", then "all_flash.n72ap.production", and extract "iBoot.n72ap.RELEASE.img3" to your XPwn folder.
    Do not close WinRAR after extraction!

9.) In the command prompt from before, type the following:
    Code:
    bspatch iBoot.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 iBoot2.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 iBoot2.patch

On Windows Vista and above, you may be asked for administrative rights, so be sure to click allow!

10.) Open up your XPwn folder, then locate "iBoot2.n72ap.RELEASE.img3".
    Drag it to your WinRAR window, which should have files such as "applelogo.s5l8720x.img3" in it.
    If not, please get to this folder (Firmware\all_flash\all_flash.n72ap.production) first.
    When the file is dragged into this folder, just hit OK from the menu that pops up, then wait for WinRAR to add it to the IPSW.
    Don't close WinRAR yet!

11.) Open your 2.1.1 IPSW in WinRAR and hold your CTRL key, then select "iBoot.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 ", "LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3" and "recoverymode.s5l8720x.img3" from "Firmware\all_flash\all_flash.n72ap.production".
    Your 2.2.1 IPSW should also be open, so simply drag these files over to your 2.2.1 IPSW.
    Hit OK and wait for WinRAR to add them.

12.) Close WinRAR and open iTunes, then shift restore to your "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore_runrs.ipsw" file.

Wait for your iPod to restore.
    If you are not currently on a pwned system, follow step 10, 11, and 12 from my other tutorial.

13.) After restore is complete, put your iPod into DFU mode (I'm not sure if you'll be able to get into restore mode, your iPod may already be in it. If it is, you're all good).
    Open up a command prompt and change directory to your "iRecovery_SVN" folder.
    Run the following:
    Code:
    iRecovery -s

You should now see a ] prompt, which means you're talking to your iPod.
    If iRecovery cannot find an iPod, make sure you're in DFU or recovery mode, and if all else fails, make sure LibUSB is installed correctly.

14.) Run the following in iRecovery:
    Code:
    setenv rs "arm7_stop;mw 0x9000000 0xe59f3014;mw 0x9000004 0xe3a02a02;mw 0x9000008 0xe1c323b4;run rs1"
    setenv rs1 "mw 0x900000c 0xe59f300c;mw 0x9000010 0xe3e02000;mw 0x9000014 0xe503223f;run rs2"
    setenv rs2 "mw 0x9000018 0xeafffffe;mw 0x900001c 0x0ff1a100;mw 0x9000020 0x0ff2afff;arm7_go;run rs3"
    setenv rs3 "sha1 0x8000000 0x3000000;arm7_stop;mw 0xff006d4 0x21906943;mw 0xff006d8 0x68da6898;run rs4"
    setenv rs4 "mw 0xff006dc 0x9300699b;mw 0xff006e0 0x69c40509;mw 0xff006e4 0x47a02300;run rs5"
    setenv rs5 "mw 0xff006e8 0xf0002000;mw 0xff006ec 0xe002fde3;tsys"
    saveenv

15.) To boot your iPod, type the following in iRecovery:
    Code:
    run rs

To boot your iPod each time, you'll only need to repeat step 15.
    Also, if you ever use a dongle, you won't even need step 15.
  2. bmgjet

bmgjet New Member

thanks, testing now.

bspatch does make anything on vista.
    looking for another patching program

----

you need to have bzip2.exe in the same folder as bspatch then it works.
    http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html
    Or
    runrs.zip with this file added to it.
    http://www.[PIRACY.mf].com/?5mnndmbtymx

----

Error 1602

You need to do redsnow patch before upload custom firmware.
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137796
    And steep 10, 11 and 12.

----

Error 17

im going to start over and use winace to make sure winrar didnt stuff up any files.

---

Nope still getting Error 17
    Only thing I can think of is XPwn isnt applying the patches correctly, bspatch isnt working or jfb392 has made a mistake somewhere in his tutorial.
    (Well thats it for tonight, going to bed now)
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    well done

Please Register or Log in to view images

going to do now
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    bspatch iBoot.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 iBoot2.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 iBoot2.patch

does not give anything....
  4. BlackStar879

BlackStar879 New Member

5. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Didnt work for me either. You really should get an iPod touch if you plan on writing anymore tutorials. EPIC FAIL.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    the bs patch does nothing, this tutorial does not work. Also, there are many files which are not patched. You forgot to copy over the LLB file.
  7. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    bspatch does work when you read the directions on the creator's site that states you need bzip2.exe in the same folder as bspatch. I got an error 9 a second ago... I'm not sure if I thought to copy LLB over or not. If I didn't, I'll know soon.
  8. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Crap, i thought this was going to work.

Please Register or Log in to view images

also, is this pages formating messed up for anyone else?
  9. unknown1337

unknown1337 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Didn't work -_-
  10. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My restore finished, but it didn't boot. I believe that I forgot LLB as hitman noted. I'll test that out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.