Windows or Mac?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by shashanknegi, Aug 26, 2010.

1. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So my dads debating what he should get me, because i use the computer until its down to like 4% battery, when i give it to him.
    Im deciding whether i should get a Mac or another PC.
    I havent really used a Mac before.
    But i also heard a Mac is less likely to get viruses, is that true?
  2. zombie boy99

zombie boy99 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Macs are less likely to get viruses because big companies don't use them for company stuff like they do Windows so hackers make viruses for Windows so they can steal money for those big companies. So Windows Vs. Mac in my point of view take the Mac, I have Windows XP and my dad had an iMac and I'd do anything for it! lol
  3. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Mac. You will love it. I was glad when I made the switch.
    Yes the whole virus thing is true
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    To be honest, it really depends on what you're using the computer for.

Basic uses (Either):
    -Web
    -Word processing
    -Schooling

Mac:
    -Photography
    -Movie editing
    -iPhone SDK

Windows:
    -Gaming
    -Programming (Unless for iPhone)
    -Business uses.

The other thing is the hardware software divide. While the Mac has far superior software, and great battery life than Windows computers, the windows computers will offer higher hardware specifications for thousand(s) less and Windows 7 is actually getting up to par with Mac OS X (But still isn't, but close). You also end up paying a little for the Apple brand name.

Apples/Macs also do get less viruses (at the current moment). But it is vulnerable (Don't go with the misconception that they are virus-proof. It's just that no one targets it as more people do use PCs.

Though this really can't make a decision for you, use the information to make your decision.
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you're just going to be browsing sites, IMing, listening to music etc, go for a Mac. But if you want to play games on it, I'd go for a PC. And in regards to viruses, I wouldn't exactly state it the way zombie boy99 did, but he's right. If you were to make a virus to cause trouble to people, you would aim for the majority, which is, in fact, PC users.
  6. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, if you're not going to be doing any heavy gaming, then just go for the Mac. They have better battery life than most windows laptops.
  7. longcat93

longcat93 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would love to get a Mac for the design and aesthetics, but it is really too expensive for me. Depends on what you are going to use your computer for. If you just need it to type documents or surf the web you can just get a basic PC with Windows 7. (Windows 7 is not that bad)

And for the virus thing with the PC. Yes, there might be more viruses out there for PC, but you just have to be smart to not download suspicious .exe files or look at malicious websites and you should be fine. Been with a PC for all my life and never got a virus!

Personally I would love to get the Mac (if you have money laying around) but I would just get the PC. (suggests Asus) But really depends on what you doing.

Unfortunately I'm a poor student

Please Register or Log in to view images

so no Mac for me!
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd be on a Mac right now if I could afford one.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've got a desktop for gaming.
  9. longcat93

longcat93 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah macs are way too expensive, but they look gorgeous!
  10. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    If you have the money, get a Mac. You can always use boot camp to boot Windows on your Mac along with the Mac OS itself