Windows on iPad (Idea, not real)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheSedge, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TheSedge

TheSedge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If it can be jailbroken, the possibilities are endless. Here is a possibility I'd like to see happen:

After a few months, developers could make the USB adapter completely useable (instead of just photos, you can view the USB device in iFile, and use an external hard drive. This would solve memory issues.

There is already Bluetooth keyboard support, and mouse support wouldn't be hard.

This would take a while, but there may be a Boot Camp on the iPad (enables a seperate partition on the Hard Drive for Windows). There would be a program on your computer (not sure what the name would be) and this is how it would work:

You plug in your external drive to your computer and open up Boot Camp, then you click "Begin".

The computer program tells you what size partition you want, and where to put it. You select your external drive, and it creates a Boot Camp partition folder on it. Then it tells you to insert your Windows XP, Vista or 7 disk. Put the OS of your choice into the disk drive, and when it appears on the desktop, click Install. This loads up Windows and Boot Camp for installation on the iPad.

After a few minutes, the program says something like "Insert External Drive into iPad via USB Adapter ".

When it's in, go on iFile and search the External Disk. There will be an .ipa called Boot Camp installation. Open that.

The app will open, and it will have "Please turn on Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse", and it will detect them. When it has detected them, you can use your mouse to select "Continue".

The Windows installation will begin. It will go as normal, and the keyboard and mouse drivers will be modified into the Windows installation, so they work. You follow the on-screen installation, and pretty much install Windows.

After Windows is complete, you will need to go into your external drive and select "Driver Installation.exe". This will install the drivers, like the Mac Boot Camp, but for iPad.

Then you will have a full version of Windows running on your iPad!

Feel free to point out any mistakes. I am typing this on my iPhone, and the text box is large, so there will be a few mistakes. I love Apple, but if I could run Windows on my iPad, it would be even better. I could have Flash (finally)!

If you want to install a disk, simply plug in the hard drive to the computer and insert the disk. Go onto the Boot Camp program, and select "Disk Installation". It will copy the disk content to a new folder on your desktop (in the Windows on the external drive). There you can install the program. If you can't play a game because it needs a disk, just get a No Cd Patch.

Please suggest improvements and problems. (because there will be many).
  2. Zc456

Zc456 Member

They've already done it in the form of HP's Slate. Personally I really wish they stop porting Windows 7 onto every device with an Intel processor and, I dunno..., maybe use a system that REALLY is designed for touch-screen.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. deepower

deepower New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That was exactly what i was thinking.

However. as mentioned early in the keynote, iPad uses a PPC chip called A4. and as far as i know, windows is not compatible with PPC chips. I mean it does support some of them but a chip at this level of customisation [system-on-a-chip] I don't think it will be possible. Or lets just say: "It wont be easy"

EDIT**

Another something I found out is that not every ARM-based systems have USB host capability. Take the Samsung Omnia 2 for example: Its based on a USB host capable chip (system) but samsung didn't include the option. Where as Acer, with its M900, which uses the same chip (and system) included this option and supplied a USB female adapter right out of the box.

Again, I'm not saying we're hopeless (lol

) but we really have to wait and see what happens next. (Maybe iPad 2G? who knows....)

regards,
    dpwr
  4. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's most likely fake, iPad got ARM CPU and theres no Windows 7 ARM port, without that you can only kiss a** of Win7. As always people here believe in impossible.

Linux at most
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...c-unveiled---its-an-arm-cpu-and-the-gpu!.aspx

Apple A4 is nothing more then integrated few PU's in one case it has Cortex ARM CPU and PowerVR... in other words it iPhone 3GS on drugs
  5. deepower

deepower New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thats what i was trying to say with "system-on-a-chip"

6. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea but it's not PPC cpu, it's ARM and theres no plan for ARM Win7, but it's higher chance then PPC port since there also ARM netbooks out there that MS can be hungry about.

Also guys remember this Win7 is created to use with mouse with 2 buttons, use of it won't be comfortable as iPhone OS inside iPad, same goes with OS X (that also don't have ARM port) and Linux with standard Gnome or KDE
  7. deepower

deepower New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    agree. and tnx for correcting

back to linux then? or maybe a emulation for win 95

i had an app for that...
  8. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    old x86 CPU emulation (Without some extras like MMX or SSE) is theoretically possible, so theres chance for Win95. Ofcorse Linux will work for sure since kernel and basic low level software supports lot of architectures, but remember that not all Linux software runs on ARM CPUs, but some of them might be ported with some extra codeing. Gentoo distribution have nice list that shows what software runs on specific architecures, so you can scout it:

http://packages.gentoo.org/categories/?arches=exotic (architecture picker is on side if you want to see more aches)

Most used linux UIs are KDE (it's in Kubuntu for example)and Gnome (Ubuntu) and looks like they support it.

Keep in main that there was iPhone linux project and even with possibility to run Android project failed because lack of interest, but iPad look more attractive for linux
  9. deepower

deepower New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    tnx for the link it really blew up my mind

i think we can go for linux since they have ARM based stuff. (asy you've said) I'm sure somebody or some group will get this working since the platforms are nearly based on the same architecture.

They even have emulation software that can be used on ARM based distros. That's awesome! Like we install linux, and than we emulate windows xD they even did it on ps3. (which is PPC, btw)
  10. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea but Cell in PS3 is 3,2GHz CPU and iPad's A4 it's 3 times weaker then that.