Windows Networking & iTouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by hwfa, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hwfa

hwfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I run a small LAN in my home. It has a desktop running Windows XP, a laptop running Vista Home Premium, a "netbook" running Linux (Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex) and my iPod Touch running s/w 3.0. The whole thing is networked wirelessly via a Netgear router which aslo acts as a DHCP server. I have allocated hostnames to each machine. The three computers can refer to each other by hostname as well as by IP address. The iTouch doesn't understand the names. Why not? How do I make it play ball?
  2. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Can't the iPod Touch just refer to the other computers by IP?
  3. hwfa

hwfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It could but:

1. Computers, including iPods, are supposed to make life easier. It's easier to remember a name you've assigned than to remember some complicated 4-part dotted notation number.

2. The network runs on DHCP. This means that the IP addresses of the various computers can (and do) change. The whole idea behind hostnames & DHCP is that the DHCP server keeps the name<>IP-address relationship straight so all you have to do is remember the names.

3. Given that the IP addresses change, how do I find the *current* IP address of one of them *from* my iPod? Or are you suggesting I run around the house interrogating the computer I want to access?

All I'm asking is how to make my iPod conform to the conventions followed by the several milllion (billion?) computers out there, *including* Apple's. It's sort of worse when you consider that the iPod Touch is running a form of *nix which virtually invented the concept of hostnames.
  4. Dattu

Dattu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't know how to solve your problem, but if it turns out that you can't get hostnames to work, you can resort to assigning static IPs.
  5. hwfa

hwfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why should I have to "resort" to a mechanism that was alrady deprecated 20 years ago?

Surely Apple isn't this short sighted?