Windows 7 Beta and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by JohnnyAndroid, Dec 31, 2008.

1. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I've installed Windows 7 Beta on a separate partition than Windows XP. Now I have a slight problem.

I can't boot back into windows XP. I've tried hitting F6 but only windows 7 shows up in the boot menu.

Another question can you use windows easy transfer over a network on two operating systems that share the same HDD??
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Can't Windows 7 access the Windows XP partition? If not, I bet Linux can. Just boot into a LiveCD or something and start transferring important stuff into an external drive.
  3. beebop

beebop New Member

Windows 7 should be able to see the xp partition but not the other way round. And it seems to me like you've overwritten the xp partition all together with 7.
  4. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Thanks for the quick responses, but yeah the partition can be seen but there are sharing privileges and I don't have an external drive big enough for all my stuff.
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You need to modify the boot.ini to see both partitions... or at least mark them as bootable. When you installed 7, it modified your boot sector and ntldr simply doesn't see XP.

Attempt to boot into a Windows XP setup disc and use the recovery console to type "FIXBOOT". Else, attempt using an on disc tool, such as what comes with Vista discs to repair the boot sector and allow the boot.ini to contain both OSes.
  6. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First try pressing F8 after POST/before windows boots, not F6...