Windows 2nd Generation Jailbreak Tutorial

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Anononomolous, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Anononomolous

Anononomolous New Member

This is a tutorial on how to jailbreak your 2nd generation iPod Touch, please follow my instructions to the letter and you'll do just fine.

1a.Please connect your iPod Touch to your computer and make sure you have the the Firmware of 2.2.1 (5H11A) installed, you can also check which firmware you have by going into:
    Settings> General> About, on the iPod Touch.

2a. Register at ifans.com and complete the registration process.

2b. Download shortperson1026's "Redsn0w Tool" at this address:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138081

3a. Extract the .zip folder onto your desktop, don't rename the folder.

3b. Delete the shortcut (it doesn't work), or leave it, whichever.

4a. Visit this address:
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

4b. Download "iPod touch 2G (2.2.1/5H11A)

5a. After you've finished downloading the firmware from felixbruns please rename this file to "originalFW", PLEASE note that the word "original" is all lowercase.

5b. Drag and drop "originalFW" into the folder called "core" in "redsn0w lite"

5c. (Windows XP) Click -Tools >Folder Options >View. uncheck "Hide extension.." in the folder window.

6a. To make sure your downloaded firmware is complete and not corrupt (which is mainly why people receive 1403 errors in iTunes just before the end of the jailbreaking process) please change the file extension from ".ipsw" to ".zip"

6b. Attempt to open that zip file "originalFW.zip". If you can successfully open the file then you have a complete copy of the firmware and you are ready to move to step 7. If you recieve an error please go back to steps 4a. AFTER you do these four things:

1.Delete the "originalFW" file and any other copy of that file you have
    2.Use the Disk Cleanup utility and clean EVERYTHING.
    3.Clean out your web browser
    4.Restart your computer

7a. Change the file extension on the "originalFW.zip" file back to ".ipsw"

7b. Hide know file extensions by doing step 5c. again

8. Download iRecovery from this address:
    http://www.[PIRACY.mf].com/download.php?jezuukvtomy

8a. Open the Zip file, extract "libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.1.exe"

8b. Move this file into "core" and install it.

8c. Delete the iRecovery zip file, you no longer need it.

9a. Run "redsn0w lite" (If you're running Vista or Windows 7 insure that this is running under Windows XP capabilities by right clicking "redsn0w lite" > properties> compatibility)

9b. Press 1 and hit enter

9c. Make a bagel or something, this might take 5 minutes but after everything is said and done you will have a new file in "core", "jailbrokenFW".

10a. Repeat steps 5c. through 6b. but instead of doing this to "originalFW" this time you're going to to it to your new "jailbrokenFW", if errors occure with the file repeat the last portion of 6b. and start back at step 9a., if not continue ahead.

10b. Repeat step 5c. (hide know extensions)

***All preperations at this point are complete, you are now ready to jailbreak your 2nd generation iPod Touch. Beyond this point I AM NOT liable for any damages, You're are doing this at your own risk with a warning from the creator of this tutorial.***

11a. Reopen "redsn0w lite.exe" and this time press 2 then enter but get ready to hold down the home button and power button. After pressing any button one more time the cmd window will count down from 10 to 0, as soon as it does let go of the power button but keep pressing home down for another 5 seconds.

11b. "redsn0w lite" will tell you to unplug your iPod Touch then replug it back it. If your screen doesn't turn white don't worry this is extremely fixable, hold down power and home till the iPod Touch reboots and then try again by closing the current session of "redsnow lite" and repeating 11a.

11c. iRecovery will want a few lines of commands from you when you see "$iPhone" and a cursor beside it, input these commands one after another:

arm7_go
    arm7_stop
    (Press) ctrl+c
    awnser "n" (no)

11d. "redsn0w lite" will inform you to go into iTunes (which should have opened up and told you nothing can be done to you iPod Touch till it's restored). HOLD shift and left click the "restore" button in iTunes, this should have broughten up a browser for finding the firmware of your choice. Choose "jailbrokenFW' and watch it restore, ie jailbreak.

12a. After the restore process is complete your iPod Touch will not start without help from "redsn0w lite". To boot your iPod Touch follow these last few instructions...

12b. run "redsn0w lite" but this time press 3 and enter. you'll be once again asked to input a few commands, those being:

arm7_go
    arm7_stop
    (Press) ctrl+c
    awnser "n" (no)
    go

***Error Assistance***

Error #13:

1. Download the previous firmware version of your current one from felixbruns.de

2. Plug your iPod Touch into your PC

3a. Force your iPod Touch into DFU. Hold both Power and Home for 10 seconds, release Power but continue to hold Home for another 5 seconds.*

4. Open iTunes if it's not already opened and Shift+Right Click "Restore"

5. Use the firmware you just downloaded (downgrading)

After awhile your iPod Touch will reboot and iTunes will reconize it, go ahead and set it up.

6. Update your firmware back to what it was before via check for updates.

7. prepare to jailbreak again.

*If this process doesn't work for you and you still receive error 13 during the jailbreaking process, repeat these steps but instead of forcing the iPod Touch into DFU try a normal restore instead*

***Extra Assistance***

Live IRC help @ irchon.com #ipt2g
  2. DaAlmighty1

DaAlmighty1 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Got any solutions to error 13, 14 or 1604?

Sorry for hijacking thread on first post...

Anyway, that was better than shortperson's, but I don't think his was very vague...
    But I still couldn't complete it (error 13).
  3. Anononomolous

Anononomolous New Member

I don't have any solutions to 13, 14 or 1604. Check to make sure everything is up-to-date, open the firmwares as zips and see if you receive any errors.
  4. firefoxuser

firefoxuser New Member

we really dont need another thread about this..
  5. Anononomolous

Anononomolous New Member

O I think we do because every tutorial I've seen here can be squeezed into a paragraph of badly written instructions with missing steps. but hey whatever I can take my tutorial down, everyone who is confused or irritated with the lack of help can just suffer some more.

Sounds so much better than being helpful.
  6. hyr00l

hyr00l New Member

Ah.. frustrating. The guide was good and all. I restored with custom firmware, then iPod was not recognized. Tried to boot with 1touch boot or whatever, did it.. but ... it was not recognized again, but then it was, then iTunes opened and said I had to restore.. this is probably the 3rd time trying to fu**ing restore and I've been doing this for ~4 hours and It's really starting to get annoying. I just want to go to bed but I want JB first.. help? Thanks so much..
  7. Anononomolous

Anononomolous New Member

should have worked, I just did it again with a co-workers ipod touch and it work flawless.
  8. BJiPodJB

BJiPodJB New Member

these instructions worked flawless . good lookin out
  9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    you do know its much easier if you do in in the command line because you know EXACTLY what your typing and can see where you have gone wrong.
  10. sup1234

sup1234 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    After i press 2 and hold down power and home for 10 seconds and home for 5 seconds and i press enter it says "Uploading iBBS" and then it says the application has failed. am i doing something wrong here?