Will you actually use facetime?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dj9928, Sep 20, 2010.

1. dj9928

dj9928 New Member

I've had video calling on my mobile phones since the early 2000's and have never made one video call, and in recent years phone manufacturers have stopped including a front facing camera due to its lack of popularity I suppose, Then Apple decide to resurrect it from the dead, personally for me I'll never use it on my iPod touch in fact don't know anyone with and iPhone 4 or iPT4, I'd of preferred the space taken up installing a front facing camera be put to better use like a decent rear camera.
  2. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I used Facetime for the first time last night. I called my friend who just got the iPhone 4. I think it's a pretty cool feature. And I agree that I wish the cameras were better quality. But in my opinion the back camera records pretty decent video.

I have a question though, can Facetime be installed on a computer? So that you can call people's computers, instead of having to have someone with a iPod touch 4, or iPhone 4? I'm guessing no.
  3. Indestructible

Indestructible Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Apple is making a facetime program for mac and pc.

I will post a few sources in a min.

***Edit***
    Sources:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20016106-233.html
    http://gizmodo.com/5634931/when-is-apple-adding-facetime-support-to-computers
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/16935/facetime_shows_apples_network_future
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ne_4_s_FaceTime_video_chat_with_open_standard
  4. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Little kids will use it and maybe adults to see their wife/kids when out of town but not much more than that. I think I tried it twice and never looked back.
  5. scrumper

scrumper New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I probably won't use it - especially as only a few of my friends have an iDevice. I have had skype for ages but rarely use the video bit on that either. It is nice to have the capability though; you never know when it might come in handy!
  6. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'd never use it, it's just plain awkward.
  7. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Nope, as little as I used it when Nokia "invented" it back in (was it 2003?) XD
  8. cnhardwick

cnhardwick New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I used it for the first time last night to call the person sitting across the table from me. It was very useful. *sarcasm*

Maybe if I knew people with an iPhone 4 or iPt4 it might prove useful--like for calling random contacts and saying "beam me up Scotty" and then hanging up--but at the moment I only know one or two people who have Facetime so it's pretty useless. Maybe if/when Skype and other apps support video chatting it will be more useful. Maybe.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. deepdvd

deepdvd Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I will definitely use it. Even more when there is a PC application for it.

When you want to show something around your house or outside (near WiFi) to someone remotely, what better way than live with Facetime? I don't want to have to record video and then email it to them if I want to talk about what I'm showing them.

Without a PC/Mac client, it will be somewhat limiting though to only those that have a new device.
  10. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i.think.different is right. I think the program is mostly for people who have family members out of town, etc, and for that it's a great tool. I probably wont use it much, considering I only have 1 friend that I can use it with at this point.

And thanks for the info Spirit_JB, I figured they'd come out with some sort of Facetime application for computers, just to make it more widespread.