Will We See Third-Party Widgets in iOS 7?

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Jan 2, 2013.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. SilverShip

SilverShip Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hopefully, widgets on android are one of the best features
  3. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I saw that today as well and wondered the same thing. They better. :p Apple won't loose me on the iOS side because iOS isn't good, they will loose me because I just want to do more than just be able to change my background picture. :mad:
  4. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

I don't really care for them.
    JKJones likes this.
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I just don't think that widgets are as usable as most seem to believe. Most are poorly designed (not UI wise, but interactive wise), as developers optimize them more as being sophisticated app launchers than ways to see the most useful and relevant set of data at a given time.

For example, the way that Google Now utilizes cards to collect the most pertinent pieces of glanceable information is far superior to any widget I ever used.

So frankly, I could care less about seeing widgets. It's a buzzword that is thrown around as a feature that I'm not convinced is used by many, or is as useful as many say. Having recently moved from Android, I could care less about iOS not having widgets. I care more about app-interoperability, sharing information, a way to see the data that I care about, and various other features that I actually used.
    JKJones, Apochalypze and ThePodofi like this.
  6. Gr4v1ty

Gr4v1ty Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope not! The notification center is so small that it couldn't fit a great widget! But I would like to have some widgets available on the home screen!
  7. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    No but if they do, and it it's in the notification center (which it probably would be) then it should be paged like the homescreen so its not a clusterf*** of widgets and notifications mashed into one place.
  8. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

I honestly never used widgets when I had my nexus, the only one that was useful was the stock music one. I feel like they are way overhyped and used as a trump card amongst android enthusiast.
    Steqheu likes this.
  9. Aarix

Aarix Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Well stock notification is boring, very boring. When it got a taste of cydia, it was amazing. Now I never even need it.
  10. SilverShip

SilverShip Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    Opposite of this. Just got Nexus 4 and widgets are very useful. Battery life widgets, id music using soundhound from home screen, task killer, toggles, weather/temperature, new articles (Google currents, clipboard).

I do agree that most of them are pretty bad but there are a few gems.