Will using "non iPhone compliant" accessories harm the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murkage, Oct 14, 2008.

1. murkage

murkage New Member

So I was in a Best Buy tonight and I was picking up an awesome little Sony boombox that has a CD player and a iPod dock, so inevitably I tried to see if it would work with the iPhone and it gave me the predictable "not-compatible - do you want to turn on airplane interference..." and I chose "no" but the stereo did work with the iPhone past that error message, I could play audio and it was charging the iPhone and worked fine.

When I was buying it I mentioned to the clerk that it was for an iPhone 3G and he warned me against getting it because his iPhone had been on a "non-compatible" speaker dock for iPod and it burned out his screen and overpowered the iPhone. He claimed he took it to the Apple store and they said it was a power surge issue and the warranty would not cover it.

So...I bought the Sony stereo anyways because it has a line-in also, anyone know if there is truth to this that the "non-compatible" accessories can harm the iPhone 3G?

If they could why does the error message not explicitly say so, it just says it won't work but nothing about users could void their warranty if they try.
  2. Paintball

Paintball New Member

I don't think so. All ipods and iphones are charged and powered over usb, which runs 5 volts and around 500 ma. So, them apple people were probably right that it was a power surge. or a defective boombox. If it somehow does occur in the HIGHLY unlikely products-outsourced-to-cheap-china world we live in, then just say it happened when you plugged it in to your computer. Tell them it was a mac too

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. kingkai

kingkai New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i brought an ipod dock station for my touch which was great, but wen i got the iphone and used the dock the iphone error came up, it wouldnt charge though it would play but the best of all..... when i touch the metal parts of the iphone 3g buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzap i get an electric shock so now i just use the line in lol