Will updating mean activation again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mookies, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Mookies

Mookies New Member

Hi guys,

This guy I bought an iPhone 3GS 3.13 which is unlocked and jailbroken claims that if I update to 4.01 NOT RESTORE I won't need to activate the phone again and I can just go straight to jailbreaking and unlocking.

I am not so sure and I think he might be trying to make some more money off me when I get stuck at the activation screen.

So is this true?
  2. kevuk09

kevuk09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    with every update the phone needs activating again, whats the problem with activating the phone? if it was unlocked using the jailbreak, then you will lose the unlock.
  3. Mookies

Mookies New Member

I don't have the proper carrier SIM as I am in a different country to that which it was bought in.

But thanks for the info, I thought the guy was dodgy.
  4. Jaaagman

Jaaagman New Member

Yes, everytime you upgrade the iPhone to a new firmware, you will have to activate it again. I only have one question though. I too have bought a 3.1.3 3GS. I am wanting to activate it, but I do not have an official carrier sim (the phone is locked to Fido). My question is whether or not you can just a Fido sim from an iPhone 3G or does it have to be a 3GS? The only issue is that I know a number of people who have an iPhone 3GS, but they are all on Rogers.
  5. Mookies

Mookies New Member

I think sims aren't linked to a generation of model as they can be used in any kind of phone (SE, Nokia ...) so you should be ok in using the sim in your 3GS.