Will this work - multiple libraries question

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by rikernumber1, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rikernumber1

rikernumber1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi All,

I'm currently running multiple family iPods from one iTunes account, with two separate iTunes installations on two separate laptops, but using a single library and media files located on a portable harddrive that we simply plug in to one of the two laptops (whichever is available) - I've set iTunes on both laptops to the library on the portable HD. It all works fine.

However, my wife is quite protective of the iTunes library, which she sees as "hers", and doesn't like me importing my music in to it and messing it up (whereas I see it as a virtual, common music shelf like the real one we agreed to share when we got married.....). I've got a number of non-technical choices I can make to solve this (one probably involves a divorce lawyer), or the following idea:

Install iTunes on my own laptop (i.e. a third one), continue using the single iTunes account, make a copy of the library files for myself, but ensure it references the single file location where all our music is currently. That way I can have my own iTunes installation and library that makes use of the existing media files (that are also shared with the other iTunes Library) and existing iTunes account but doesn't affect the other library when I import music in to it from CD. I don't purchase much music from iTunes, and I assume I'll have to enable my laptop as one of the five we're currently allowed. I can't see any problems, but I'm no expert.

Will this work?
  2. Microsoft™

Microsoft™ Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    As I see your situation, you want to have 2 music Libraries on 1 iTunes? Hard to understand; maybe thats why its so quiet here D:
  3. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You can create a new library in iTunes if you hold the shift button down when you double click on iTunes.
    But you'd have to switch it manually every time.
  4. rikernumber1

rikernumber1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks

Yes - I think that's answered my question.

Cheers.
  5. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Wow I never knew that. Couldve proven useful to me recently -_-;