Will the sdk make this the next Newton?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PCKid, Nov 27, 2007.

1. PCKid

PCKid New Member

I had all the Newtons. From the first to the last and at the time they were awesome really. Pre PDA days. There were some excellent 3rd. party apps for it. Seems like the Touch has all the potential to be the next Newton with an official SDK coming out. Not to belittle the excellent apps that are here already but with a legitimate SDK it opens it up to major companies with the resources to produce some great apps. Adobe comes to mind for PDF and Comic Resources. Plus I'm sure Mobipocket will produce a compatible Book reader (hopefully with landscape option) for all the books in their library. I used to use my HP Ipaq for book reading from Mobipocket and it worked very well. The Touch is way clearer, bigger and faster. Should be a snitch. Roll on Feb.
  2. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

I sure hope not. The Newton was always considered a huge Apple failure.
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

That was largely because of its sketchy handwriting recognition, a reputation which followed it to its grave.

I don't know that I'd call it "the next newton." If anything, the SDK (existing homebrewers notwithstanding) will simply turn it into as much a PDA as a PMP.
  4. netrack

netrack New Member

I understand where your going with this and in a way its everything the newton more or less wanted to be. Apple started with the intention of making an ipod that had internet capabilites. SInce the homebrew sceen has opend up the touch to its potential it really doesnt have to many limits. Im excited about the offical SDK coming out and will pay for quality products. I hope they find a way to get navigation on this thing via a gps unit that attaches to the ipod dock port!
  5. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

No offense to the homebrew community, but the SDK will open it up to richer fuller applications. Frankly I feel that many of the homebrew apps fall short of expectations.

But to be fair, much of that is the reluctance to put a lot of time into applications that may be disabled at every firmware update, so I can't blame them in not trying as hard as they can. Currently I find that many if not most Webapps better than most of the homebrew stuff, but of course you require WiFi connection to do that. I suspect when the SDK becomes available, many of those official webapps will become official standalone applications. Until then, developers will be reluctant to develop for the gray market.

But what does this mean for those applications that sit in the gray zone like gpSPhone or NES. These are of course applications that will never likely become official so will that signal the end of wicked applications like these?

I'm not certain I will care at that point. Personally I find it fun to have a gameboy emulator to show off to friends, but at the end of the day it's pretty trivial. I bought my iPod Touch first as a mobile media device, second as a productivity tool and third for entertainment like games. I'd personally play games made specifically designed for my iPod.
  6. Farami

Farami New Member

Many people always claim SDKs to open up many new ways. I don't think so anymore. Often Homebrew apps are close to what you can expect of the SDK. Sure more people will interest in developing programs. But they're often not much better than the homebrew stuff. That's my oppinion...
  7. coiagp@gmail.com

coiagp@gmail.com New Member

I think the iPod touch and the iPhone already are the next Newton. Its already got all the PIM functions - calandar, email, contacts etc.

Having an official SDK isn't really gonna fundamentally change this. These devices are PDA's in all but name. I use mine for all the stuff I used a Palm T3 for. However PDA's don't sell anymore really, so I guess the trick is not to call it a PDA/Newton! Apple sure isn't gonna call it that, Steve's made quite public his disdain for the Newton.
  8. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Definitely not the next Newton.
  9. coiagp@gmail.com

coiagp@gmail.com New Member

Care to expand on this?

It clearly has the functionality of a Newton...
  10. permutated

permutated New Member

Agreed.

The one thing I'm looking forward to is a quality music/midi controller app with assignable knobs.

Using the iPod touch with a program like Reason or Reaktor would just be heaven for me.

Would be so easy to do with the new Midi in/out .app that was just released.

Yummy!