Will the Ipod Touch work even without a battery?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robertov05, Sep 7, 2009.

1. robertov05

robertov05 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Simple question:

Even if the battery is completly dead, should the touch still work if you connect it to computer? I think in theory it should be able to run off the USB power, however can someone please verify by personal experience that they've been able to operate a touch without a battery?

My Touch is not working and I'm trying to determine if its just a battery problem or something more serious. A few days ago I connected the ipod to my the computer. The touch's screen showed a picture of a battery with a lighting bolt underneath (indicating dead battery) and it would not take a charge even after many hours. Now it appears completely dead when I connect to the computer all I get is a picture of an apple which comes on momentarily than the screen goes black, then the apple comes back etc. etc. and itunes doesn't recognize it.

Thanks
  2. REvie

REvie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    DFU + Restore
  3. MuseFan288

MuseFan288 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thats most likely what you need to do.
    does the dead battery thing keep coming out?
  4. robertov05

robertov05 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I did manage to put it in DFU mode and I attempted to reintall the firmware and reset to factory settings. However, I received the following error message "The ipod could not be restored an unknown error occured (1611)".
  5. deaduck3

deaduck3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hey i had the exact thing happen to me. i had to dfu and then itunes recognized it then i restored. it scared me but now it works fine. if the dfu didn't work the first time try it again. here is what i did.

-plug ipod into computer via usb.
    -open itunes
    -push and hold sleep/wake button and home button at the same time for exactly 10 seconds.
    -let go of sleep/wake button after exactly 10 seconds.(keep holding home button)
    -hold home button until you get a message in itunes saying ipod in dfu mode found.
    -then it will say ipod must be restored.
    -hit restore
    -once it is restored, right click on ipod in itunes menu and hit restore from backup. ( don't worry this won't make your ipod do what it did in the first place. your ipod will still work and you will have all your memory back.)

you will have to re-sync to put your music/ vids back on though.
  6. robertov05

robertov05 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tried on two different computers and continue to get the error message "The ipod could not be restored an unknown error occured (1611)" and now, I think my ipod is stuck in DFU mode. Any solutions?
  7. deaduck3

deaduck3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well not any real good solutions, but sometimes electronics need to take a break so...

turn it completely off and just let it sit for a day or so. then i would plug it in and let it try and charge up. but i know thats not a real good solution. maybe if its under warrenty or call apple and ask them what you should do.
  8. robertov05

robertov05 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    deaduck,

Thanks for the advice.

I after many faild attempts at restore I finally got it back out of DFU mode. However now I'm back with an Ipod that has a picture of a drained battery (with a lightning bolt underneath).
  9. conan78

conan78 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello everyone im new here and i have an ipod touch 2g for a few months now and my first question is about battery so i m posting here. Is the battery replacable? And if its not what can we do if the batteries really dies? If its working connected to a pc then i would just sit on the pc right? if it wont be portable then why use it?
    I personally use my ipod for reading comics and wifi mostly but i think this kind of devices should be battery replacable.
  10. Sickfee49

Sickfee49 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    DFU + Restore: Cures all but cancer, wait a sec....
    3.... 2... 1... nope still cancer, but cures everything else