Will the iphone charge me if i have a no data plan for Tmobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carri07, Sep 21, 2009.

1. carri07

carri07 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ok i just got an iphone 3gs and i am unlocking it for tmobile as i write this. However, i did not had any data plan for my previous phone, i jsut had 1000 shared minutes with my family and in my account i had 400 texts a month. I talked with my uncle who works for t mobile and he said that the 3g is free. i dont know if its true, well but if this is the case, will my iphone use up any data plan by itslef and charge me without me knowing?
    Or is there something that i can do to stop it and just use the 3G if it is free where it is availble.

If there is anyhting else that i should know tell me please.

Thanks in advance
  2. pabalabalo

pabalabalo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I'm in somewhat of the same situation. Just started using my iphone 3G with T-mobile on Saturday and was also concerned about over data usage. What I did was have them completely block data from my phone. I have been reading up and from what I can see it will still use data even without you knowing. Don't know what he's talking about the free data thing, that would be cool tho, lol.
  3. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not sure about T-Mobile, but im pretty sure you need a plan, some people have a pay as you go plan or something, or they pay per time sued, dono how it works, but along those lines, probably didn't help much, somethings better then nothing =p
  4. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    my friend just said to google 'iphone nodata' and it should block all data. idk about the free 3g, you'll have to ask them.
  5. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

First off I will assume you are in the U.S. This answer only pertains to the T-Mobile in the U.S.

Your best bet is to call T-Mobile and ask them to block any data usage (I am not certain they will do this but they should be able to). If they won't (or can't) block it your next bet is to change your APN settings so that it cannot connect and use any data from the cellular connection (the phone and text's will still work).

Last thing, T-Mobile 3G is on a completely different frequency than the iPhone and at least for now it does not work on the iPhone. You can still get EDGE and GPRS but the 3G network is unique to AT+T and will not work.
  6. dlpetey

dlpetey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I just had this answered last night. Jailbroak my Iphone yesterday and went in to ask Tmobile. They said that as long as you don't have a data plan you won't be able to go on the internet without wifi. I tried it and got the message on my iphone "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

So you fine.