Will the iPad be a force in education?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Axis, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Surely the iPad has a ton of potential—its ability to store stacks of textbooks in a slim, sleek form-factor—but will it see widespread use in schools?

Assuming there is plenty of content available, schools will have to consider the worth (and risk) of distributing $500 relatively fragile devices to children. Rugged cases would be a possible solution, but not without adding to the already high cost.

In the same vein, public schools (and many private ones), take advantage of government programs for textbook purchases. As publishers begin to distribute electronic textbooks, state governments may realize the cost reduction stemming from digital versus physical media, and reward schools accordingly.

The advantages of digital textbooks are not the extent of benefits for students and schools, however. With some restrictions/parental controls (which iPhoneOS 3.x already supports), students can be in contact with their teachers, and be kept up-to-date with schedule changes and other announcements, all through one device.

Many students don't need a full-fledged laptop for school. The iPad offers top-of-the line technology, an effective means of communication, and an intuitive interface with a shallow learning curve.

In this economic recession, it is unclear whether schools will be eager to adopt such an unconventional and costly approach. Only time will tell.

Discuss.
  2. GregoryFire

GregoryFire New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    I don't think that the iPad would make a very good textbook. They have tried this with the Kindle, and it didn't work, so I don't think that it would work for the iPad. Plus, the iPad doesn't have an e-ink display, so it would be harder to read on it than a regular text book.

EDIT: 100th post!
  3. normalcy

normalcy Banned

People would be too distracted with the plethora of other features and apps. I highly doubt this could ever work out.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Not entirely true. Graphics and diagrams will look much better on an LCD. Also, school curriculums may gravitate to visual/interactive media, for which the iPad would be perfect.

In the future, if iPad-like devices catch on, we may see digital textbooks function also as interactive applications.

I mentioned restrictions in my post. I could have said parental controls as the school functions in loco parentis
  5. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i know im buying one for college. i just hope theres some type of annotating sidebar but i figure that jotting down notes in a separate notebook is plenty compensation for only carrying 1.5 pound device with me to classes.
  6. GregoryFire

GregoryFire New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm not saying that it wouldn't look better on the screen. I'm saying that it's easier to read a book then to read the text on a computer screen.

I do agree with you though, that if the school added the interactive media, then it would be a good replacement to textbooks. I just doubt that many schools would do it, and by the time every school added it, then there would be cheaper and better technology available for them to use.
  7. normalcy

normalcy Banned

Yes, I know restrictions would be set but with restrictions, you are just getting an overpriced eBook reader. There are much cheaper alternatives and projects like this have not succeeded in the past.
  8. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't think so myself, as compared to computers that most schools have, and the computers students already have at home, they won't be able to add much extra. Using them as textbooks just seems like a gimmick to me, as there are devices out there that are much better suited to this, maybe not the kindle, but many of the hundreds of other ereaders unveiled at CES, that are also much cheaper, and less distracting.

EDIT: And interactive media, also, just seems unnecessary to me, because if you want to show animations in a class, it would be simpler, cheaper, and less distracting to buy a smart board (link) they use these for this in my school, and they seem to work pretty well.
  9. Harry Goldfarb

Harry Goldfarb New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Yea i dont think in the near future (maybe very very distant) the govenment or the school itself will ever give the students an iPad as a replacement for textbooks.

That being said im getting one as soon as i can order online haha ... Would be very very helpful to have!
  10. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    [removed unsourced comment]

This means Apple won't be able to do it again, and unless they upgraded the security standards for the iPad I see copyright issues all over the place.