Will phone call or SMS interrupt music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk88er44, Aug 4, 2010.

1. sk88er44

sk88er44 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey everybody,

I'm very interested to get the new iPhone 4, as I use my ipod touch 3g every day, so i think it's a good time to cross over

My only concern is that I have my ipod hooked up to the stereo at work, and use it all day to listen to music. If I were to get a call or txt, could it the phone be set to just show that theres a caller, but not interrupt the music?

I read somewhere that the solution is just to put it on airplane mode, but I still want to be able to recieve txts and calls, just not have it ring over the music

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. bmvee

bmvee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Texts and emails will not interrupt music... the audio will mute briefly and you will hear a notification, but music will remain uninterrupted.

However... it's a phone... that's what it's designed for... unless you're going to put the iPhone in airplane mode... a phone call will interrupt your music!
  3. sk88er44

sk88er44 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I realize it's a phone, but it's basically an ipod with a phone built into it. And "interrupting" means that the music playback is stopped, muted or turned down, so it will be interrupted from what you said.

If I set the ringer to silent will it just show up on the screen that someone is calling without actually ringing?

On my blackberry there is a "silent" profile which does this, I use it at work so I can see who's calling but it will not ring.

I know that's probably a basic feature of every phone, but i've never used an iphone and I want to make sure that it can do this

Thanks
  4. liljak

liljak Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Its basically a phone with an ipod built into it.
  5. sk88er44

sk88er44 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok that isn't the point, I came here to direct a question towards people who own iPhones. I didn't come to get in a debate about what kind of device it is.

Thanks
  6. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well if you put the iPhone on silent it will vibrate for only texts and e-mails, without interrupting your music. But if you get a phone call it will interrupt your music because it is a phone first and an iPod 2nd.
  7. sk88er44

sk88er44 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok thanks

8. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  9. Spam

Spam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why should a small issue like this prevent you from getting the phone? Is the continuity of music playback w/o distraction that important to you? It shouldn't be a dealbreaker
  10. sk88er44

sk88er44 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey man sounds funny to you, but it makes a difference to me. Right now I carry my blackberry and ipod touch around with me everywhere.

I have my ipod hooked up to the stereo in an office of 30 people, so if the music starts cutting off and ringing, that won't go over well.

I use my phone alot, but i also live on my itouch, so if i could merge the two together it would be perfect