will old power adapter wreck my ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PokerPod, Mar 16, 2009.

1. PokerPod

PokerPod New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an old usb power adapter from apple model a1102 and was wondering if it would damage the battery or the device or reduce battery life!!! thanx in advance for replies
    would appreciate comments from those who use this model of power adapters
  2. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Probably not.. If its really old it might not even charge it at all.
    If it was built for iPods generally should will do no harm.
  3. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

If it's never fried anything before, I wouldn't expect it to start. You should be fine. All USB chargers are basically the same - I've used my iPod charger to charge my phone plenty of times.
  4. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    if it wont work the ipod will have a pop-up saying its not compatible and it wont do any damage so ur clear.
  5. azntiger1000

azntiger1000 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i have a quick question to ask following this...when you guys turn it off completely and charge it. is there a way to tell how much of it is charged without turning it on?
  6. ParrotBoy

ParrotBoy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nope.
  7. 1happyguy

1happyguy New Member

Old iPod charger does not charge my Touch

I recently moved up to a Touch and boy am I happy... this thing rocks, especially when I am in range of wifi!

The cheapie charger I bought for my iPod 5th gen (video) still works fine on on the older player, but the Touch does not recognize it at all. I have tried it with several of the USB cords that I have, but still no juice.

Like I said, it works fine with the 5th gen iPod, so what is the difference?

It is nice to be able to charge without turning on the computer.
  8. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I tried using the charger I used to use, and a notification/pop-up popped up and told me that "This iPod is not compatible with this hardware." Then I clicked okay and it went away.

To answer your question, no.
  9. 1happyguy

1happyguy New Member

Well I never got a pop-up... just nothing happened. Made sure the connector was all the way in, tried different cables, rechecked it with the older iPod (and it worked)... no luck with the Touch.

Is this ploy by apple to sell their over priced chargers?
  10. harker

harker New Member

Well I got a slightly different response.

I plugged my ipod touch into my 5th gen ipod video power adapter and got the plug icon (connected to power), instead of the lighting bolt (charging) in the top right hand corner.

I thought maybe mine was fully charged, so tried my partners touch. His also just showed the plug icon. His was only half charged.

Does this mean that it is running of power but not charging. i.e. that the ipod battery will neither run down (because of the external power) nor will it charge up???

If so, this isn't soooo bad.