Will MooCowMusic soon come out with an update for band?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by sprint_user, Oct 30, 2008.

1. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I love MooCowMusics software, and I miss the ability to add instruments to band, so will they come out with an update soon?
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

I heard somewhere that they stopped working with Band and were focusing on Guitarist.
    I'm not sure, correct me if i'm wrong.
  3. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Argh! they need to come out with an update, i heard they were gonna add an update but that was when i bought it a month ago or so when it went on sale to $2
  4. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    i hope not!
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    He just updated Guitarist majorly - I think he needs time to work on other projects atm.
    Guitarist is going places.
  6. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

True, and Band is pretty suckish.
  7. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

"The Horse's Mouth"

You can always email me these questions, you know, via my website.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But here goes for the record:

I'm not against making free updates to any of my apps, as I hope the recent Guitarist update has shown. That one update took me about a month of work, and has had little effect on the sales for Guitarist, so from a purely business perspective was effectively pointless. It's a sad fact that the way the App Store is set up right now there is basically no incentive for developers to spend a long time making an update that they cannot charge for when they could instead knock out a quick new app to sell. A functional update (as opposed to a bug fix) in theory might slightly improve the visibility of your app in the Store and so increase sales, but that's a pretty big risk if the update is going to take as long to write as creating a brand new app to sell from scratch.

HOWEVER, I am very passionate about my apps (in particular Guitarist), and I genuinely want to write the best apps that I can. And that means that I'd love nothing more than to improve them where I can, and will do so as long as they are selling reasonably. The nature of these updates, of course, means that they can't happen overnight.

The next issue I have is that there is only one of me, and so I have to prioritise my work, and I pretty much prioritise by how interesting and cool I think the work is going to be. That may mean that Band gets no new instruments, and left-handed guitarists curse me daily, but everyone gets to play with the first iPhone Wah-Wah Guitar effect. However, I _do_ listen to suggestions, so just email them to me. But do me a small favour and don't get angry because you told me you wanted something for free one day, and a month later I still haven't done it for you and you curse the day you gave me $1.99 in the first place.

The final issue is just _what_ to update. Taking Band as an example, people want more instruments, they want to be able to make their own instruments like before, and to save songs as MIDI.

The main problem there is that the import and export of data to the iPhone is a tricky beast. It _has_ been done on a few apps, sure, but there are a number of design and support implications that have led me to hold back on this. I've been waiting since the Store opened for Apple to provide a unified solution (across PC and Mac too) to import/export. In a nutshell: this is on my ToDo list as it would add to all my apps, but I can't yet see a solution that would work for everyone without my email box getting inundated with support calls, and getting even _more_ negative reviews from people who are frankly too lazy to read a manual or even ask for support in the first place.

I _could_ make more instruments for Band. The reason I don't is that Band is always going to be limited in terms of polyphony and memory (how many other iPhone apps let you combine multiple instruments into a song and save it, anyway?), and those instruments could be _much_ better created as stand-alone apps. People have requested constantly that I implement a guitar instrument into Band. Well... I hope you can see just how much better Guitarist is than that could ever be.

Even after 4 months and 4500 new apps in the Store, Band is still a cool app, and I love the immediacy of it. Although I've tried really hard to make Guitarist intuitive, there's no doubt that it's the sort of app that you need to know something about music to use. Whereas Band has anyone playing a blues solo in seconds. But I wrote that app back in April before the SDK was even released, and the application design is much more limiting than creating a new app for a new instrument.

I'm not ruling out making some free update new instruments for Band, in the same way I'm not ruling out anything (yes, including the App Store Drummer that I am getting emailed about _daily_!). But Band instruments are not at the top of my ToDo list partly because this is my day job now and I have to think about the bottom line and spending time on work that will actually sell, but mostly because I find the prospect of sourcing samples and graphics, and writing a properties file to stick them together on a screen to be sooooo dull compared to working on the next cutting edge iPhone music app.

As always though: thanks hugely for your continued interest in my apps.

8. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i totally agree with your last paragraph, guitarist is a completely different level of application to band and i would love to see other applications with that such high quality,

not to be nosy but would it be possible to tell us what might be at the top of your to-do list of applications?
  9. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

I would love to tell you what I'm working on right now, but actually I'm not (uhem) allowed to.
  10. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)