Will magnetic clip button cases damage my Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aragornzxl, May 9, 2009.

1. aragornzxl

aragornzxl New Member

I just bought a BargainCell flip leather case, but I noticed that it has a magnetic clip for the buttons. I know that magnetics are disasterous for electronic devices, so is that magnet (which is relatively strong for its size) gonna mess up my Ipod Touch? If so, why the heck would they make cases with magnets anyway? Thanks
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The only electronic things affected by magnets are hard drives and floppy disks. Cell phones are, to a degree, but they just cause static when held close to them.

In order to damage flash memory, you would need a magnet so powerful that it could attract the iron in your body.

Rest assured the case will be fine.
  3. Tomvb62

Tomvb62 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My wife and I owned a flip leather case with a magnet clip for our iPod Touches. The first time I used the case was on a short trip, I tried to listen to some music with the case closed. That had the effect that the iPod "locked up" after just a few minutes. I had to reboot the iPod several times during the trip, until I was so annoyed by that that I switched it off. After my arrival I loaded up the iPod with the case closed. Apparently that damaged my iPod, because I was unable to boot it up again. I returned to the Apple store, where it was exchanged for free (great service!).

My wife's IPod was a few months older than mine and she never experienced any problems with it, until she started to use the same case. Her experiences were the same as mine (lockup and boot-up problems). The moment she stopped using the case, the problems were gone.

Somehow I don't believe that this is a coincidence, because there are many people who experienced identical problems with leather cases that have a magnetic clip. My advise is therefore not to use them.
  4. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That doesn't seem very typical from a magnet. If it did affect the iPod, I wouldn't think it would take that long of a period to do so.

Then again, its possible that that case had an unusually strong magnet. I've seen testimonies of people who have magnetic cases and have absolutely no problems at all.
  5. aragornzxl

aragornzxl New Member

This is what I don't get. If a case has the POTENTIAL to mess up a Touch because of its magnetism, why put it there in the first place?
    What is wrong with a normal button?
  6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Have you read any reviews for it? I'm pretty sure if it has been bricking iphones then it isn't going to do too well...
  7. Aurongel

Aurongel Banned

I lost an SD TV to a giant magnet once...

Please Register or Log in to view images

"He who controls magnetism, controls the universe..."
  8. moviestar

moviestar New Member

help with ipod touch

I have a problem with my Ipod touch I have a magnitic case and left it in there for a sec.. till it fell a sleep and it turned off on me and it will not turn back on me tried many things idk what to do is there any tips to get it back on and working?

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Tikker

Tikker Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why do people keep saying this? You ever pull a hdd apart? Guess what's inside?

Big strong magnet!
  10. dualBang

dualBang New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What happens when you bring another magnet into the equation though. Depending on the polarity, it can do things, or the magneticity of the magnet would increase, as there would be more magnet there to magnetise the HDD...