Will Jailbreaking Allow Flac File Support?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by WheresEric, Apr 7, 2010.

1. WheresEric

WheresEric New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm seriously considering buying an ITouch but I'd really like to get a player that supports flac files as I have hundreds of songs in that format. I read online where one can "jailbreak" an iTouch so that it can play flac files but this voids the warranty. Are there any apps that would allow me to play my flac files on the iTouch without any prior conversion?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Dan in CT
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Not FLAC support, or at least I haven't seen anyone enable the codec, especially since it natively supports Apple Lossless.
  3. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You could do a *painless* mass conversion of files.

If you're interested, you can take a look at this, which I found by doing this.

Hope it helped!

-Happyman7
  4. tbb15

tbb15 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I doubt that you will be able to distinguish the difference between FLAC, 320CBR, and V0 through an iPod Touch. Just convert them all to V0 to save space. 320 sounds exactly the same as V0. (unless you have crazy amazing ears or have some really nice sound equipment)

Keep the FLAC for archiving, there is really no reason to play FLAC on a portable media device IMO.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Just convert the FLAC file to ALAC an iTunes will play it without the need for conversion. There is also a FLAC thing in Cydia which provides some support i think, using VLC player for iPhone I GUESS you could play FLAC files through that.
  6. Lumify

Lumify New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You CAN play FLAC files with a jailbroken app called VLC4iPhone. It's a little glitchy and has a crappy UI, but it really works. It supports APE files too. The quality is pretty good, I can tell the difference.