Will constantly charging my iPod for a few minutes each day ruin battery?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by felixen, Mar 28, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I bought the iTrip that also charges the ipod. I drive a total of 40 minutes each day and I always hook up my ipod to this itrip.

I was wondering if it'll kill the battery to get charged so often and for such a short time too?

Also, I leave my itrip in the car. Will it damage the itrip in any way if the tempeture is low? We have snow n sh*t right now over here, so I dunno..
  2. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

are you talking about your iPod's battery or your car's battery?
  3. freedomfighter

freedomfighter New Member

As far as the Itrip is concerned, cold shouldn't harm it at all. I live in Minnesota and leave my Itrip outside all winter long, still works as good as the day I got it.

For the battery someone more knowledgable than myself will have to take that one.
  4. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm talking about the ipod's battery. I hear that it always ruins the battery if it keeps getting charged, then used for some time and then getting charged again. I hope it doesn't matter though, cause then I can't use my iTrip since it's powered by the car only (sucks that it doesn't switch over to leach from the ipod when the lighter-thing plug isn't inserted)
  5. lambson804

lambson804 New Member

From what I know, (and if this is the same as cell phone's batteries) as much as the manufacturers will deny it, their batteries have some sort of memory. By charging them constantly before they are allowed to fully drain, the battery will begin to memorize the percentage that you let it go down to before beginning to charge and will think that THAT PERCENTAGE is the end of the battery life. Basically, if you charge it constantly like every day without allowing it to die fully, over time the battery will begin to forget the rest of the battery life not being used and will only recognize the amount that you allow it to use before charging.

I could be very wrong, but I know for a fact this has happened to all of my cell phones. I just hope that Apple looked into this. It just sucks because even when you plug it into your computer to access your music, vids, or photos it automatically begins to charge...

anyone else have input on this? cause like I said, I could be wrong..
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I had an ipod nano once and left it plugged in for about a month when i got an ipod video and forgot about the nano. It still works fine.
    I don't think its the same as a cell phone battery. If it was we would all be buying new ipod every six months since you cant replace the battery.
  7. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

Apple will replace them for a fee, even out of warranty or whatever

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. lambson804

lambson804 New Member

Yeah, but you left it plugged in the whole time... the original poster and I were talking about unplugging it, draining the battery a little bit (not all the way), and then plugging it back in to fully recharge. The next day, or later on in the same day, unplug and drain part of the battery, and then plug it back in to fully recharge again..

continuing that process for a long time, I think, should wear on the battery's overall life..
  9. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

I have a Belkin Tunebase for my car and it does the same thing, whenever I plug the Ipod into it then it charges it up while I am driving. As I have had my Ipod since the start of December if anything bad would happen to the battery it would have done by now, but it still seems to do the same job it did when I got it. Every few weeks I do run the Ipod down until it shuts itself off because the battery has run out, because I have read the same information on battery memory. I have no idea if it helps or not, but I can't see it doing any harm either.
  10. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i dont use itrip, it uses too much battery for me... and i know you will say that it barely uses any, but my ipods battery life is a little over 2 hours. so i just use an AUX cable. but it shouldnt ruin your battery