Will Apple track serial numbers of hacked pods via iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kevio, Oct 12, 2007.

1. kevio

kevio New Member

I was just thinking. iTunes knows what your serial number is when you connect the iPoT to it. I'm wondering if Apple could tell if you hacked your iPoT and send the red flag to themselves. Then if you have an issue and come into the store they refuse to help you (ala bricked iPhones). At that point you couldn't even restore it to return it because you would already be blacklisted. Of course I could just be paranoid.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. freckle101

freckle101 Banned

i don't see the problem with us hacking them???

we aren't on a contract, we aren't costing them money

if i bought a table with the money instead and decided it was too tall and chopped the legs down, would there be a problem?

all we are doing is taking this ipod and making it perfect for our needs as an individual

correct me if i am wrong but didn't steve jobs hack into long distance calling back in the day? hes hacker himself, he must understand
  3. Frost71

Frost71 New Member

But after you chopped the legs down you would no longer be able to return it or get any help if the table was wobbly.

I think this is the issue. Will Apple help any more or will they say ... 'hey you broke the "table", deal with it yourself'?
  4. freckle101

freckle101 Banned

goes without saying mate but its something you have to weigh up in the risks of jail breaking

personally i still do not have my touch but if i find the software and apps on it suit me its not getting jailbroken but otherwise its getting done
  5. kevio

kevio New Member

Yeah, that was really the point of my question. Would/Could Apple simply blacklist hacked iPoTs via iTunes. So if you ever did need service they could refuse you. I'm guessing they could also use this method to prevent you from updating to future firmware upgrades too.

Personally, after seeing all the icons on the hacked iPoTs I don't think I can wait! LOL I'm going to give it a go tonight.
  6. dmorgan81

dmorgan81 New Member

hacks do not change your serial number, they change your model number. They can tell when something has been done, but it would be illegal to deny access because of jailbreaks. Hence why they have lawsuits on the iphone already.
  7. freckle101

freckle101 Banned

or more likely make you pay more to have what ever needs doing done
  8. TheH

TheH New Member

Firewall

This is not gonna happen, and even if they do, you can just install a firewall and deny itunes access to the internet, or even better, set it up so it will ask you every time itunes it's trying access the web, then you can choose if your downloading a song, a potcast, album art, etc.. to grant access for that process...
  9. fury

fury New Member

Considering you can perform a complete restore from iTunes, they really shouldn't have much of a problem.
  10. TheH

TheH New Member

Just make sure you don't copy the trash folder on the Gibson computer, or login using God!