Will a new update brick the ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joshforde, Oct 25, 2007.

1. joshforde

joshforde New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello everyone

Please Register or Log in to view images

I was just wondering if apple were to release a new ipod touch update would it brick any hacked ones? I want to hack mine but if it gets bricked in a future update i would be pissed. Thanks for any help

2. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

possibly but you can hard restore before updating and that should fix it besides most of the things like the add call events etc have been added in the jailbreak but its not like there twisting ur arm to update
  3. joshforde

joshforde New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for your reply just wondering how do u hard restore? and my itunes updated mine instantly when i first got it to 1.1.1
  4. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

you hold sleep+home for up to 15 secs then when ur ipod reboots let go of sleep keep holding home till u see the connect to itunes thing.
  5. B.Hardball

B.Hardball New Member

Someone brought this to my attention today and I had a bit of a panic. I went through the preferences in iTunes and turned off any options I thought might auto-update my iPod. Now my iPod screen reads "Click Check for Update to see if a new update is available" instead of saying somethign like it will automatically do it for me.

They would have to offer some pretty neat features in a future update though for me to want to do a restore and update.
  6. joshforde

joshforde New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Do you guys think i should hack mine? and can you tell me some cool app you guys have on yours and what the do?

7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I don't know if a new update would brick the iPod so much as it would kill Read/Write/Executable access (making apps not work). And of course, since it would surely close the tiff exploition in Safari, you wouldn't be able to rajailbreak the iPod to grant the appropriate accesses.
  8. Oliver G

Oliver G New Member

The new update will brick the iPod
  9. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

We don't know that yet Oliver. We don't even know when it is going to be released, I guess it's likely to be before February to coincide with the SDK launch.

However I wouldn't recommend upgrading the firmware if you want to keep your jailbreak status. If you do want to upgrade, make sure to restore your iPod first.
  10. GrimmGreen

GrimmGreen New Member

please correct me if i'm wrong , but when the iPhone got updated with new firmware i didn't brick it purely because of Jailbreak , it was my understanding that the phones that did get bricked , were bricked because of the SimFree hack

most phones simply went back to a "jailed" state with the new iTunes store app on the spring board

seems like the worst that could happen is they will fix the Safari exploit and return the Touch to the standard black background no 3rd party apps state. They couldn't keep you from listening to your music as a "punishment" for jailbreaking it