Wildman94's Review of Rolando: One of the best iPod games yet!!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Wildman94, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Wildman94

Wildman94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

I never really knew much about Rolando. All I really knew was that it was supposed to be like Loco Roco (which I've never played), and that there was a huge hype around it. I never really understood the hype for it, though, but I think I surrendered to it, because on December 18th, I bought Rolando. And my, was that one of the best decisions I've made this year. As soon as I started playing Rolando, I understood why there was so much hype around it.

Graphics: Why not go over the first aspect of Rolando you experience? Well anyways, the graphics are impecable. It may only be 2D graphics, and not 3D, like such games as "Kroll" and the upcoming "Need For Speed: Undercover", but that doesn't stop Rolando from providing you with a nicely polished game. The areas and characters look quite smooth and vivid. I would have to say that Rolando has the best graphics of any 2D iPhone game out there. 9.5/10

Music: I wish I could include the music of Rolando in my interview, but I never really played Rolando with it. I think I only played Rolando with my music or no music at all. ?/10

Storyline: Rolando has you playing as small balls called Rolandos, as you try and save the sages of Rolandoland. There's one small factor, though. A fleet of shadow creatures is holding them hostage. You have to play through four different worlds, each with nine levels, to rescue the sages. The storyline seems very Mario-esque for some reason, considering that the Rolandos need to go through four different worlds before finding the sages, while in Super Mario Bros., Mario went through eight different worlds to find Princess Peach. Nonetheless, the storyline is good in my book!! Short, simple, and sweet. 9/10

Gameplay: Now this is where Rolando truly shines. Rolando uses the iPod Touch/iPhone's features to the max. Well, maybe not the accelerometor, but certainly the touch screen. The only thing the accelerometor is used for is tilting, which is a huge part of the game, don't get me wrong, but seems typical for an iPod Touch/iPhone game. On the other hand, the touch screen is used very unorthodoxly in Rolando. First of all, you can drag a box to select the Rolandos you want to use. Or you can just tap a Rolando to use it. Secondly, you jump by swiping up on the touch screen. Third, and most important, you can spin yellow objects, draw paths, and activate objects such as fans and bombs, all by making certain actions on the touch screen. Finally, to view the whole course, you can swipe around with two fingers. That's really useful, especially if there's some sort of drop or enemy close by. 10/10

Difficulty: This game is harder than it looks. In fact, the difficulty of the game pulled me into it even more. I never enjoy something unless it's a challenge!! And yet, it's just right!! Not too easy, and not too hard!! On the other hand, my only disappointment in Rolando was that the final world seemed too easy. Maybe I became too good from the third world. 9.5/10

Other Pros:

iSave: This is amazing!!!! With the power of iSave, you can play Rolando throughout waiting for your dinner, shut it off, eat dinner, and play right from where you were in the level, whether it's the beginning or the end!! iSave has proven itself to be very useful, especially in situations when you have to do something else quick and don't want to let Rolando keep running.

Replay Value: I have found that a lot of games on iPod Touch/iPhone have absolutely no replay value. Rolando, on the other hand, has many achievements that you need to get. Oh, and let's not forget perfecting every single course. I mean, it probably gets boring after a while, but the end of the story doesn't mean the true end!!

Interactive Menu Screen: This is just a little toy that I found interesting. When you start up Rolando, you get to the menu screen, which you can interact with, as there are a couple switches and a lot of Rolandos to play with.

As you can see from my review, Rolando is amazing. In my opinion, it is a must buy for any iPhone/iPod Touch user that plays games. From my categories and the other things in Rolando that make it so good, Rolando receives an A+ ranking from me.

2. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Wow nice review! Very detailed and all-inclusive.

I TOTALLY agree on the A+ rating, Rolando is definitely the best game on my ipod right now.

3. Aramyth

Aramyth New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    The music in Rolando is pretty good. But one of the things it does that I think is awesome is that you can listen to your own music, but still hear the sound effects of the game.

Nice review, agree with most of what you said. It was definitely the best 10 dollars I've spent on my iPod.
  4. alxcoolastru

alxcoolastru Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I totaly agree too !

I agree with you all 100% the game is just great not only interesting and fun to play but very functional . Did any of you guys ever get a crash or sound problem on Rolando , I have never . I have way more than 100 bought apps , more of them cost 8.00 dollars and up and I never didn't buy such a fun and addicting game app . It practically doesn't get boring or tiring , just a 5 star great and super fun game ! This guy that's reveiwing it is absouluty right it's a great app and cheap for such a awsome game ! I was not so interested in ngmoco in the past but now when they made this game I am eagerly waiting for their next release . In some means it's even better than sim city because it's so much less confusing and easier to play . If anybody is looking for a great app to spend 10.00 dollars on then this would absouluty be my first choice . What I like the most is that this game is very responsive all the things around you are controlable and in some levels it gets very fun . I'm telling you the truth that from all the level that I tried in this Rolando I have not yet played a one that was boring for me . One thing I have to say is Great Job Ngmoco , you did absouluty great on this app , I'd give I 10 stars 5 is not enough !!!!!
  5. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the detailed review, and agreed, best game out there right now.

But I will say this iSave thing, is really something that should be mandatory in every game! There really is no reason why every game that is out does not have this feature.
  6. Googleman

Googleman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually, SimCity autosaves your city when you exit the app too, TapDefense and Bugdom 2 got this feature too. thats the ones i know but yea, theres a few.
  7. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know there are a few. They ALL need this feature!
  8. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    IGN gave it a 9.5, wow. But, this game is EASILY the best game out there so far.
  9. jnskyliner34

jnskyliner34 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i do have a hard time controlling the spikey rolando. sometimes i don't want it to stick to walls when i jump and stuff like that.

i'm such a n00b.
  10. Aramyth

Aramyth New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    lol Me too, I hope they have an update that lets you control the way he jumps a little more easily. Or maybe I'm such a noob too.