Wikipedia repo

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by steeped, May 21, 2008.

1. steeped

steeped New Member

Hey,

I am sorry but I did search but to no prevail. I used the Wikipedia Offline repo (yjouanique.free.fr/repo.php) but I am getting a package download error. Is there any other repo? I am having problems with SSHing onto my computer so I need to do this repo-style, but I first need a working repo.

I would appreciate if someone can help me. I may even bribe all the helpers by giving +rep

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    wait so you want to get the entire thing, dump and all, through a repo? that'd take hours to download

Please Register or Log in to view images

and it depends if you mean wiki2touch or just wikipedia.app, to get wiki2touch (just the app) off a repo use http://168weedon.com/i

and then there's a fancy little tool that downloads the dump, indexes it, and transfers it to your ipod thru usb all in one nifty package

get it here

(wiki2touchutils is what you want)

for wikipedia.app i have no idea
  3. Lukinator

Lukinator New Member

I'm interested in getting Wikipedia on my ipot too, but which app is the best and most complete, yet has a small file size?
    One more question: why won't iwebsaver save Wikipedia articles?
    Will +rep for answers.
  4. macfanboy

macfanboy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    whoa man, wiki2touch is MUCH better than wikipedia.app

wikipedia.app crashes all the time, you can only view it in portrait mode, and you can't zoom in at all

wiki2touch uses safari, so you can view pictures, those graph things on the right that they have on fancy articles like countries, you can double tap to zoom in, out, save bookmarks or put them on your homepage, etc etc

plus wiki2touch can do images, but those are like 6 gigs
  6. macfanboy

macfanboy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ya those are disadvantages...but crashing?!?!?! never happended to me. so dunno what u talking about.
    plus info is what u need (atleast for me)...if u want pics go ahead but like he said its 6 gigs...and i aint gonna sacrifice that
  7. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ^but wiki2touch makes getting that info so much easier, you can leave it open as a tab and come back to it when you click safari, you can save it as a bookmark, you can set it as a webclip (i got all my wikipedia articles like that in a category), you can view it either way (portrait/landscape) you can zoom in

and contrary2popular belief you don't have to install apache and php and all that craziness to get wiki2touch to work

and unless wikipedia.app got an update then it still crashes alot, i used it back in february or something and it crashed every 5 mins or so (more if you went back and forth alot)
  8. Lukinator

Lukinator New Member

It looks like the Wiki2touch database that you have to download is 3.6 GB; way too much for me.
    Is there any way to save individual Wikipedia articles?
    Like I asked above, why won't iwebsaver save a Wikipedia article?
    Or could I use HistoryDL and a book reading app to view them?
  9. Lukinator

Lukinator New Member

Can anyone help us?
  10. Lukinator

Lukinator New Member

Is there a good way to get individual Wikipedia articles onto your iPod to be viewed offline?
    Is the Wiki2Touch database really 3.6GB?
    Anybody?