Wikipedia from Haukap.net for Ipod

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by onesilentlight, Jan 25, 2008.

1. onesilentlight

onesilentlight New Member

There is great offline Wikipedia reader for the Ipod from http://www.haukap.net

If anyone has been able to install this and get it working, please post some info in this thread.
  2. onesilentlight

This is a great reader since it saves the original fomating of the articles. A file needs to be compiled from the site in order to get this app working. If anyone is able to compile the file and post it here, I'm sure alot of people would really appreciate it.
  3. raid_ox

raid_ox New Member

Just read thlhe blog on haukap.net and read the comment too.
  4. ryan09

ryan09 New Member

The blog tells how to do it on a Mac. It doesn't say how to do it on Windows. It just gives you a tip on how to do, but doesn't explain how.
  5. spraggih

spraggih New Member

I have it working-- I am Henry S. on Tom's site-- you know the one with all the questions and all the issues

Please Register or Log in to view images

There is a poster who used Visual C++ to compile and said it was compiled without issue. I am a PC user and was using a Vista machine at the time and was trying to compile via dev C++ but it would not work (due to Vista I believe).

I gained access to a Mac so I just ran the provided compiled app. Took the index article file and SSH'ed it over. Then I went back to the PC to finalize folder directories (unnecessary) and stuff.

My biggest issue was Apache conflicting with the Wiki service-- port conflict. I tried running the Wiki manually via Putty-- you can designate the port so that Apache does not conflict with it. However any time I run it only any other port than 80 (same as Apache's) it does not run.

So I just turned off Apache when using the Wiki and turned it back it on with not using the Wiki.

In any resolve I bet if you post at haukap.net asking for the PC compiled app someone will provide it.
  6. shakiko

shakiko New Member

henry , can you upload the complided version so we can all download it and install??
    it would be greatly apreciated.
    thanks
  7. onesilentlight

Henry doesn't have the file, he used the Mac version.

Also, is there any kind of free tool that would let me compile this, so that I could provide it to myself and other people who need it?
  8. shakiko

shakiko New Member

Does it really matter? Seeing that its going to go on the iPod anyway?
  9. spraggih

spraggih New Member

Right I used the Mac. But there are folks at haukap.net who have and you could ask them.

On a freeware version for compiling the code-- DEV C++ is recommended based on the sites I have seen.

Also the Visual C++ that is needed to compile code is a free download from the Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN) site.

I really like Haukap's Wiki-- I now have both: Patrick's and Tom Haukap's. Patrick's is obviously easier to install and is smaller in footprint. It is also cool the way it finds matching terms as you type.

*but* Tom's app is more reliable-- redirects work, internal links work consistently. Also as mentioned it uses the Wiki style sheets. The best is the Wiki format for Table of Contents-- so you can jump around an article quickly and have the information categorized.

One other note for Tom's is that it has port conflict with Apache so you will need to turn Apache off when using the Wiki or find a way to run the Wiki service on a different port.
  10. shakiko

shakiko New Member

if i learn somehow to compile stuff or if someone compiles it on windows and releases a download i will probobly do this one, but for the mean time
    i found this
    http://trac2.assembla.com/iPhonePedia/wiki

kind of like toms one, but has winodows instructions. im trying it out now