Wiki2Touch working on firmware 2.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by fizk, Nov 3, 2008.

1. fizk

fizk New Member

I'm trying to get Wiki2Touch working on ipod touch 2.1. I've only found one person that said they've got it working on 2.1. Does anyone have Wiki2Touch working on firmware 2.1?

I've followed the instructions:
    (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94276&highlight=Wiki2Touch)

- installed wikisrvd-bossprefs-r137-20080814-1.deb via Cydia
    - copied articles_en.bin in /var/mobile/Media/Wikipedia/en
    - link /var/mobile/Media/Wikipedia/* to /var/root/Media/Wikpedia/
    - start the server in Bossprefs
    - nothing comes up as I type in words into the search box
    - http://127.0.0.1:8080/wiki/en:test redirects to "Article on found" page
    - clicking the Wikipedia logo redirects to "Language not installed" page

When starting wikisrvd from command-line, it says that it detects the "en, xx" languages.

- Yonas
  2. leoho5

leoho5 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There is a version of this workaround on Cydia. Search Cydia for wikisrvd and install it. Then of course install the wiki dump in private/var/mobile/Media/Wikipedia/en.
  3. fizk

fizk New Member

That's what I tried... I even remade the articles.bin file.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I remade the articles_en.bin file for a 3rd time... the 2nd was 1.6GB, while the 3rd was 3.4GB....I'm not sure why, the generator used the same enwiki-20081008-pages-articles.xml.bz2 file, which is 4.1GB. Let's see if this fixes the problem.

I'm uploading the file as we speak!!!!!!!!!!!!! mew hahahahahhahaha!
    That did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you downloaded a 4.1GB articles file, (eg. enwiki-20081008-pages-articles = 4.1GB), then expect an articles_en.bin file around 3.2GB.
  4. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    MAC - Success intalling wiki2touch with images FW2.1

I've also been successful installing wiki2touch on the 2.1 firmware gen1 touch using a mac 2.5gz 4GB RAM OS10.5 -actully it's wikisrvd the works, wiki2touch fails on 2.x

Taking the latest dump from wikipedia with firefox
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

Please Register or Log in to view images

atabase_download

Turn that into a bin file
    Place downloaded. dump in same folder as indexer
    open terminal
    drag and drop first indexer, then the dump to the commandline in terminal
    (cool eh?)..1hr later....
    4.12GB enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml.bz2 --> 3.19GB articles.bin which I had to locate.

Transfer
    Using cyberduck for ssh (it doesn't have the 2GB transfer limit I experienced when trying this 9 months ago), bossprefs and wikisrvd as per instructions in comments of the authors site:

http://haukap.net/2008/08/10/wiki2touch-and-firmware-200201/#comments

Images
    Download the image.bin from
    http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/Wiki2Touch/DownloadFilesW2T.html
    the top 2 links work, the newer english dumps do not, the German is not relevant to me.

Change the name to image_en.bin, this file can be transferred directly to the same folder as the articles.bin. no need for imagegetter... that's was so pre-US financial collapse. A file changed to image bin should go into the parent folder instead.

The images are quite low quality. Which is fine except for charts and graphs. I assume I was successful as otherwise there'd be no images at all. I'd be interested to know other peoples experiences.

BTW This is not a guide but you can try to use it as one. I encourage you to read the original sources when they are maintained.
  5. fizk

fizk New Member

Thanks for the images link!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you so much! Indexing the images myself is just too time consuming. These links have saved me a lot of time!
  7. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    updating wiki2touch to IPT FirmWare 2.2 works

I happy to announce wikitotouch using the wikiserver hack via cydia works on 2.2.
    But a warning! if upgrading from 2.1, a firmware upgrade will delete the bin files so you need keep a copy of them on other storage (desktop, DVD), or before restoring, copy the image.bin and article bin back off the touch to the desktop, then after the restore, transfer them back to the correct folder ( once firmware is PWNd, and you've got your cydia apps installed).

Update: restoring the bin files after a firmware upgrade
    If you are lucky enough to have an iMac with timemachine, go to when you originally installed the bin files. You enter your timemachine, type the file name, and travel back in time until the file appears, copy the files, come back to the present Leave the timemachine) and paste the files to your desktop (for example). You can then transfer these back onto the touch. This is much faster than copying the files back to the desktop from the Touch in prep for the upgrade.

PS
    If anyone has a suggestions for transferring the files over USB let me know, I only know wifi methods that work.
  8. fizk

fizk New Member

I think the wiki2touch transfer tool uses USB. (http://code.google.com/p/wiki2touch/wiki/Index_A_Database)

Install vsftp for very fast connections, much faster than sftp. I usually get a solid 1Mbps on vsftp, compared to 500kbps with sftp.
  9. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks, but I'm using a mac. I Should get vmware up & running to run window on the mac, that would solve this problem but until then I'm guessing its not going to happen.
    Also if anyone actually used these instructions

"For anyone who's interested in altering the configuration of the daemon on 2.0.x so it'll shows templates, once it is on the device, look at http://wiki2touch.ipodhelp.de/viewtopic.php?id=143, i added a way there to do so"

could they please post them here so I can test them on the 2.2 firmware. I can't find the post on the referral url.