Wiki2touch ios4.x installation with an itunes twist

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by cordyceps, Aug 7, 2010.

1. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Knowing wiki2touch would work on iOS4 (from the maintained list) I followed previously mentioned steps.

Which to sum the current version are:
    (1)Jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com exploit for ios4.01,
    (2)install
    (a) SBSsettings,
    (b) the SBSettings wiki toggle and
    (c) wikisrvd from cydia which handles the necessary 4GB+ .
    (3) Using the 0.65 indexer in terminal to make the articles.bin on a Mac

So nothing new there.

What is new is step (4) Transfering the bin file to the idevice.
    I experimented using itunes to load the articles.bin onto the iphone.It worked. This a very important step for a developer to create a wikipedia app where users can load their own big ass article.bin files without needing to jailbreak by using the file sharing feature native to itunes.

It is not straight forward, so it is more "proof of concept". I drag the bin file on to the apps tab in itunes onto the file sharing window and it copies a 5GB file in 10min to the idevice. The key is to have an app that already supports this. Goodreader is great.

Wikeservd cant see this file where it is located. So using cyber duck I find the app's location which is not easy as they are labelled in folders with hex strings
    (it was "good reader" by the way), starting 99....,
    find where it stores its documents and drag the bin file from there to the correct location checking the permissions, doing restarts.

Please Register or Log in to view images

It works! and even better neither itunes nor the app good reader bork at having a document removed on the next sync.

[I miss out some problems I had reloading the bin and reinstalling wikisrd , at first could't get to the en folder an it only gave me "xx" as a language option but i think it was a wikisrvd issue or the article.bin not indexing properly.]

Anyways app developers, there is opportunity here

A legit app could open mutiple bin for different wikis. Heavy steam industries does this on the app store but its clunky and not enough control for the user.
  2. Achisto

Achisto Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Where can I find wikisrvd? I have already had a look at Google to find the source but there is nothing that helps...I already installed Wiki2Touch Server and Wiki2Touch SBSettings Toggle and transfered the data via GoodReader onto the iPod. Then I moved them with the help of iFile into the right Folder! But I can't find wikisrvd and there seems to be a problem with Wiki2Touch, there doesn't appear any App! Can you help me?
    Problem solved

3. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Cool,
    For completeness notes as follows:
    Wikisrvd Is " wiki2touch server" on Cydia.
    The app icon is generated by saving the URL 127.0.0.1:8080 (that you go to in safari )to the home screen.-Good reader will on occassion conflict in this port same port.there is a way to change the port to say for example ...8081. But I forget which plist. Alternativly Turn off the wikiserver when not in use to prevent battery drain and conflicts of this kludge job.
  4. Achisto

Achisto Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok

Would you mind if I made a whole guide with screenshots, download links, explanations etc. as a "walk-throught"?

5. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Good idea, even though some guides exist, guides like this need resource relinking and confirmation they even still work. There a good recent guide on hackintosh.org too you could build on.
  6. cordyceps

cordyceps New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A note about having wiki2touch and goodreader on the same device is that a previous problem with port conflicct is resolved The port can be changed In goodreaderss "other settings" so this is no longer an issue.