WIFI won't work after restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EmeraldICE, Jan 5, 2008.

1. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

I jailbroke my iPod about a week ago and installed a few apps on it but noticed that certain songs would skip/pause and go forward so I decided to restore it. I just finished restoring it and loading all the songs back on and gave the problematic songs a test and so far so good.
    However, I began to reset all my settings back to how I wanted them and when it came to WIFI, I turned it on and it found my router so I touched it and entered the WEP key but after that it just sits there.
    The 3 bars near the 'iPod' don't show up at all.
    I told it to 'forget this network' and I retyped in the password but still no luck.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Any ideas?
  2. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

Okay well I eventually got WIFI working by restarting the device, but now the problem that made me restore it in the first place has come back. Well.. I just noticed it anyways.
    In certain songs it will play for about 1:30 to 2 minutes and then it will go silent for a few seconds and then skip to the next track. However, each time I restore it, different songs have the problem.
    Right now I'm restoring the iPod AGAIN, but this time I'm using the cord that it came with... the previous cord came with my old, old, old U2 20GB iPod and it has a crack down the center.
    Think that will make a difference?
  3. racedude

racedude New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I am not too sure that will really make a difference. You should look in the songs track properties. Their is a setting for you to change the start and end time. Maybe iTunes is messed up? I would check that setting and if the start time is not 00:00 on some tracks and like lets say it is 1:31 on one trace and it is the same on the iPod touch, maybe you should reload your music into iTunes or reinstall iTunes.

Hope it helps!
    Kyle
  4. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

Well all the songs play fine in iTunes. I searched a bit on google last night and some people were saying that the touch is very touchy when it comes to songs and that I should rerip my music. Worth a shot I guess.
    I'll try this:
    Uninstall iTunes, delete everything to do with iTunes, reinstall, rerip and restore.
    There goes my Sunday. Haha.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, the iPod Touch is "touchy" about poorly encoded music - not as forgiving as it should be.
  6. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

I wonder why that is.
    My 5G never had any problems.
    I've noticed that most if not all of the songs with the problem are those that I've downloaded from various sources online. So they must be poorly encoded like you said.
    Just got back from the theater and my collection is a little more than half way finished with converting to AAC.
    Thank god I reripped all of my stuff into lossless last week on my second computer.

I guess to test out the theory I will only listen to stuff that I ripped straight from the CD and see if the problem persists.
  7. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

Upon further research I found a very interesting topic here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5712288&#5712288

Seems a lot more people have this issue than I thought...

I searched Google some more and heard many people have fixed their problems by using a USB PCI card.
    I just placed an order on Newegg for one so I'll post again when it comes in and let you know if it fixed the issues.

Nothing wrong with having a couple extra USB ports

Please Register or Log in to view images