Wifi Troubles

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pakkeh, Oct 3, 2007.

1. pakkeh

pakkeh New Member

Just got my ipod touch today and i am trying to make it connect through wifi.

The situation is.
    I have a hp pavillion laptop with a built in wire-less card which is UNUSED. This is because i do not have a wireless router at home so i just plug in the cable to my laptop to access the internet.

However, because i have this unused wireless card and turned it into a wireless hotspot so hopefully my touch can connect to it.

I have used this tutorial - http://reviews.cnet.com/4660-10165_7...html?tag=vid.2

Everything goes well and my touch can scan it with full bars and everything, i try to connect to it with the correct WPA password and everything but all i get is "unable to connect to lime" lime as the server name i gave it.

So i need some help with that and to see what i cannot connect to the server.
    I was first however able to connect to it with what i believe was the wrong password? but somehow it connected and i got the wifi logo on the top left.
    However when i tried using safari, it just gave me a error saying "safari can't connect to the server"

I haver tried searching all over about these problems but without success so i was wondering what i have missed and hopefully someone can help.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

welcome to the forums. i know what your problem is! the tutorial you used doesnt exist. you should read a tutorial that does exist.

lol, are you using ICS on the PC to share the connection? did you set up an Ad-HOC network? i dont think the iPoT is capable of joining Ad-HOC networks.
  3. pakkeh

pakkeh New Member

hmmm sorry that was an old link, obviously it's moved, it was a video tutorial from cnet.

anyways, yes i am making a ad-hoc network and that is probably the problem.

so any other way i can share my internet with my wifi laptop on vista so i can use my ipod touch?

i've read tutorials for xp but i am on vista and since its a bit different, im not to sure on what to do anymore

Please Register or Log in to view images

cheers.
  4. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

pretty sure you need to connect to an access point, ie a router. if there is any way you can set one up that would probably be the best solution.
  5. SoFellLordPerth16

SoFellLordPerth16 New Member

easiest solution, just buy a router
  6. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

t first I thought mine was playing up aswell but then I realized that the caps button was staying on unlike how it was on most other typing things(more like a shift key) LOL the moral of this story is to type ur pass carefully as It is more than likely a typing error

good luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

also consider getting a router as your setup may be causing a problem
  7. michaelchan0427

michaelchan0427 New Member

This is rather a windows problem instead of the wireless problem. It is never easy to share network connections over wireless network in windows. If you try the official Micorsoft tutorial, it may be able to solve your current problem. Try google for it.
  8. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

well, xp and vista dont allow you to create a wireless access point in anything other than AD-Hoc mode. you could install windows server 2003 and set one up from there, but that would be a royal PITA for a novice computer user, lol. i would invest in a wireless router or one of those accessorys from nintendo that allow the DS and Wii to connect using your PCs internet connection, although they may be AD-Hoc also. buy one, try it, and take it back it it doesnt do what you want.
  9. pdxubaru

pdxubaru New Member

Try sourceforge.net they may have a better solution for you. You could dual boot linux or freebsd, dependind on your hardware. I guess it also depends on how bad you want to do it for free.
  10. badapple18

badapple18 New Member

easy

this is very simple i have explained it once but i will do so here in more detail.

first go to network connections through control panel.

right click your ethernet connection (or active)

select Bridge Connections

then select your wireless card to bridge to

then select security

enter security into iPot and your connected

(an ad-hoc network or (computer to computer) will not share the internet just allow to users to share files and infoormation between one another. yet again nintendodude needs to not give advice to people when he does not no what he is talking about himself) the process is all in all very simple and easily disabled when you need to take the laptop out and about.