WiFi signal strength acting up on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nenene, Mar 13, 2008.

1. nenene

nenene New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a 32 gig Touch and while trying to get into my Wireless Homenetwork ive noticed some problems with the signal strengh the iPod keeps showing.
    on the same spot i get a full signal ( 3 bars ) , just a second later i can have a signal as low as 1 bar or even completely loose the wifi signal.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GL thats in my Home's basement.
    With my Laptop I have no problem getting a signal (even if weak ) up to the 2nd floor but on the touch, when im not in the same room the router is in (eg. 1st floor) I get the above mentioned extreme jumps in signal strenght.

I was wondering if this is caused by the iPod in general or if my device may have a slight bug ( newest firmware installed and not Jailbroken ) or if the problem might be something other than the iPod itsself.

Thanks
  2. sandrodz

sandrodz New Member

try increasing signal strength undrer linksys config.

also change channel from 6 to 3 under linksys config again...
  3. nenene

nenene New Member

channel has been set to 3

but i somehow cant find the setting for teh signal strenght - checked both wireless standard and advanced settings page on teh linksys config - does that option only work on newer firmware versions? because i think mine might be a bit older
  4. Go Avalanche

Go Avalanche Banned

i always had that problem then it got eaisier!!
  5. nenene

nenene New Member

How exactly do you mean that?
  6. mrstupes

mrstupes New Member

I would also like to know what that person meant that it got easier. Cause I have an ipod touch and someone else I know has one. Mine picks the same wifi signal at full strength but the other picks it up at one or two bars. Any thoughts on what it could be?
  7. obohorquez

obohorquez New Member

I have the same Ipod touch and Im having the same problem, when Im using an apple firmware I cant connect to any kind of network, I could fix that but know if Im not in front of the router the signal will drop
  8. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Maybe he forgot it only works on custom firmwares for routers.
  9. Lensflare

Lensflare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've had this problem for ages. Before, I would recycle my router. That involves:

1. Unplug the modem and router and wait two minutes.
    2. Plug in the modem, and wait two minutes.
    3. Plug in the router.
    4. Wait one minute or until all lights are flashing/lit properly, then connect to your WiFi.

Unfortunately, this lasts only a few days before it starts acting up. So I did a little bit of network configuration (usually found at http://192.168.1.1/) I have a NETGEAR router, so it might differ.

Anyways, you can set your iPod as the DMZ server to forward all ports to it (I have it set to my laptop to use RealVNC from anywhere), but I doubt that would work. I disabled the SPI firewall (no clue what that does, but I'm not worried about hackers). Ever since, I've had full signal. But it might not last forever...
  10. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ive also had this problem. but then i sometimes move, and a desk is blocking the signal. but its stable my connection