Wifi Signal Meter Wonkiness?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touch², Jun 17, 2008.

1. Touch²

Touch² New Member

Two weeks ago i upgraded my 16Gb 1.1.2 iPod touch to a new 32GB model with 1.1.4 firmware (not jailbroken yet). I like to watch television in my living room while surfing on my touch via my wifi router about forty feet away in my bedroom. After a day or two after i switched i began to notice that the iPod's wifi signal meter drops at times to one bar, typically at the same instant a web page finishes loading. Refreshing the page or going to a new one causes the meter to jump back up to three bars. This happens sometimes five to ten times an evening and now i find i'm distracted while surfing as i'm repeatedly checking to see what the meter is showing at any given time while i surf. Signal strength was always full in the six months i had my 16GB 1.1.2. So, has anyone else noticed this? Is it a power-save feature introduced with one of the firmware upgrades? I haven't changed any hardware and i've rebooted my router a few times since i first noticed it. Web pages seem to load without any problems or delay, but as i said i now find myself looking up in the corner to see what the signal strength is instead of just looking at websites.

I'm thinking of force-restoring it to 1.1.2 to see how it behaves, but thought i'd pose the question here before going through the whole process of downgrading and upgrading and reloading my entire library again.
  2. jgl1115

jgl1115 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mine does this too...it annoys me.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Haven't noticed it but will give it a test and let you know.
  4. spgerber

spgerber New Member

I bought the Touch several days ago and have been playing with the WIFI and Safari browsing. My WIFI signal bars is doing the same thing. I confirmed that it has nothing to do with my WIFI router because it did the same thing (shifting between 1 bar and 3 bars to no signal while in the same small apartment). I was at a friend's house where she had the same ipod touch 8G and hers had a full signal and mine kept losing the signal altogether. We both have linksys G routers. I browsed at McDonalds and a Verizon store and had no problems. Perhaps it is something to do with Linksys. My Linksys has encryption and password turned on but my friend's did not and I had the same problem with both. I am beginning to think it is a defective ipod. I'm going to keep an eye on it. It really bugs me. I lose my signal altogether when I go two small rooms over into the bathroom.
  5. Mac/Vista

Mac/Vista New Member

Man you should return it and wait for like a day or two ,then buy it again and you get the January software update and the 2.0 update.

Please Register or Log in to view images