Wifi- "Safari can't open the page....."

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kevlar112, Feb 23, 2008.

1. kevlar112

kevlar112 New Member

I've had my iPod Touch since Christmas and have had no problems with Wifi. I would connect to my network, and it would load pages very quickly.

However, recently my iPod won't open pages. When I try to load a page it brings up a pop up saying "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server.". I have a full Wifi signal bar and have tried resseting network settings. I know my network is perfectly fine as my family's laptops internet is working fine. Does anybody know why I can't use the internet?

Help will be much appreciated.

Just to let you know I have a 16gb and an unjailbroken 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade) firmware.
  2. omgidontno

omgidontno New Member

I am having the very same problem. I've been to friends houses and its worked, and got this message at a friends house, reset network setting and it worked fine. Got home, reset network settings but its still giving me that message.

When I go to check my IP Address and all that, I don't have anything in the Router and DNS areas, I go to type the correct numbers in, but as soon as I leave the Wi-Fi settings, the Router number disapears. I'm not sure if this is the problem or not. But I thought I'd add my two cents.
  3. bundyxc

bundyxc Member

Hmm. Sounds like a possible DNS error.
    Go into the network setup.

Settings>Wifi>
    Find the network, press the blue arrow, and check to see what the DNS server is.
    Try changing the DNS to the same IP as the router.
  4. bundyxc

bundyxc Member

That sure is wierd. Try resetting the network settings again.
    'Forget this Network'

Then when you connect to it, give it a good 60 seconds until you decide that it's messed up.
    If it still doesn't work, try to 'Renew Lease'.
  5. omgidontno

omgidontno New Member

I've tried it all. 'Forget This Network', Reset Network Settings', 'Renew', everything. Its still not saving my Router or DNS whenever I put it in. Thus, not allowing me to connect to the server, even though it says I'm connected.

Is it a problem with my iPod or with my connection?
  6. kevlar112

kevlar112 New Member

I have also tried it all, with no succesful results. I hope its my network connection and not the iPod. I changed the IP of the DNS so it would be the same as the router but that didnt work either.
  7. Dam That River

Dam That River New Member

I will wade in the fire to explain your asylum.
    She borrows time to self-invent. Give an inch and take a smile.
  8. kevlar112

kevlar112 New Member

No I have not tried that.............?????? lets get back on topic..
  9. Dam That River

Dam That River New Member

This time no one else, I don't bear to follow you.
    See him coming at their heels...
  10. bundyxc

bundyxc Member

I'm really not a guru here, so take everything that I say with a grain of rice.

grain of salt*
    lol, I knew something felt wrong when I typed it.

Hmm, are you getting an IP address? If so, that means that you're connected to your router.

Networking Lesson: DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is a setting in your router. With DHCP your router gives out IP addresses to anything that connects to it. If you haven't connected to the router, you will not have an IP address.

It sounds like a problem with your router. What kind of router do you have?

That's wierd. It shouldn't be your iPod. If it is your iPod, then that's a problem. But I don't think it would be. Worst case scenario, you have to restore your iPod.

What kind of router are you using?