wifi question of improtance

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dathen, Jan 31, 2010.

1. dathen

dathen New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just want to know if there is any app for the i Pod touch that can find the SSID of a unprotected wifi network
    i know that stumbler can tell you if it is unprotected but it cant find the SSID to enable a log in

can anyone help with this?
  2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    the SSID name is just a name. it isn't a password. it makes no difference to the security of the network if the network has it's SSID broadcasting or not. it just tells you it exists. some peeps like it not broadcasting, just to be private.

my home network is officially recognised as 'unprotected' as i dont use wpa or so forth type of encryption. i just use mac filtering. and if you knew my SSID name you still wouldn't be able to get into it because of this.

wifitrak will tell you all available networks within range only if the SSID is on. but as mentioned, SSID isn't a password and wont let you log in per se.

un-sanctioned wifi hacking is illegal ofcorse.
  3. dathen

dathen New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    what is mean is when you go into the wifi settings of the i pod and go to manual activate a network you need the wifi networks name (the SSID) to log in and any password if it needs one. but i want to know how to find the SSID of a non broadcasting router. because if it dose not have security like a WEP all you need is the SSID to log in so the SSID is part of the security, just not a very strong defense.
  4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You can't do it on iPhone OS. Why would you even want to, if you know that unauthorised WiFi use is illegal?
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    wrong.

SSID is only the network name. I don't have WEP on mine, but you still can't log in using my SSID name. I have mac filtering on. SSID will only show you the network, whether you can log into it is a matter of security. You don't need WEP to be secure and knowing the name isn't a password. You need a completely unprotected network.

Which is illegal without owner permission.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    MAC filtering is by no means a strong form of defense on its own.

If I know the MAC address of any authorised computer (or I could brute force it), the MAC address could be spoofed easily (via ifconfig) and then I'm in your network.

From there, I could put a password on it, remove filtering, add a WPA key…

Multiple security measures are the best option.
  7. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    you are correct. MAC filtering certainly isn't the safest of security methods, i never claimed it to be. but thats beside the point. i was just answering the topic of the original poster.

besides, obtaining the mac address then spoofing my network is out of reach from the average person. you need knowledge to do this and the appropriate software. most have not. I've been working in the computer industry for 20 years and dont know how to do it. it isn't as easy as you think for mr average. Especially when you live in a neighbourhood where every property has broadband of their own and has no need to piggy back off yours

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Exactly and I find that most people that are likely to hack your network are n00bs going by in cars. They don't have either the time, know how or patience to attempt to crack your network.
    Luckily, near me I have some unsecured networks meaning that they are probably first target and my network with strong WPA2 protection isn't likely to be hacked anytime soon!

Still to get into a network you need to either have a valid MAC, a valid SSID, and a valid passphrase. Just having one of these isn't enough, and the SSID tells you nothing really, as many people leave it at the default, usually the router manufacturer.
  9. dathen

dathen New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    the wifi is at school it is totally unprotected(stumbler will tell you that), because our "tech experts" are tards, other than its ssid is hidden (stumbler cant find the hidden ssid) so all i want is to know if its possible to find the ssid because you DO need it to log in. now if if had a lap top this would be easy with a program like airjack or something but i do not. is there something like airjack for the Ipod?
  10. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    do you have laptops or computers that log on to the wifi, that you can use? If so check the network connections and it should tell you.