wifi pda alternatives to touch ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by steved, Dec 8, 2007.

1. steved

steved New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm ready to buy a touch but thought I should step back and understand the alternatives are there ay) - we all should have open minds). I wanted a great mp3 that also gives me wifi for gmail/note taking/cal/ apps. so the pda side, or 'my little knowledge tool' is important to me ( using wifi to read and lightly input to knowledge tools like wikis,maps,gmail,servers,blogs,notes,cals,....

I am a little worried that apple tried to initially cripple pda like features (no write cal issue,no notes, ...) and am happy that the community is adding all these features back and more.

So with wifi pda in mind what are the competitors to the touch and how do they stack up. Even ones that are no touch based ( pen based).

Obviously going for the touch is innovation, a significant user base and interest in alt. development (the biggest plus in my mind), a google relationship, millions of users, touch ( over pen), smart sync, pretty damn good virtual keyboard in horizontal mode, the best mp3, easy usb support and sync, hard drive emulation on any os, good physical size, reasonable but not great storage

Going against (ok my biases) - no voice for skype ( huge!!!) and voice notes, not storage expandable or available in harddrive sizes, must go through intrusive itunes for most things (which is big and will not always be on every computer I want to hook up too), a parent company that while innovative is fickle about openness and does not see the pda side as significant ( yet). no flash, no java in brower ( this really hurts), not a standard browser.

wifi alternatives are:

cowon q5w - not out yet really, too big, really expensive, but good features/design

others (help me here).

2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    the cowon got HORRIBLE review on its UI and internet browsing.

i dont really understand ur not a standard browser example, safari is standard (on macs) and i havent had any trouble whatsoever using the internet on here (i dont do flash or java stuff anyway)

im not really sure if any other pdas really have mp3 capabilities, or if they do then the quality and easy use will undoubtably be much less than the touch
  3. ajprice

ajprice New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    The Palm TX is wifi and bluetooth, same resolution screen (with pen input), 128MB with n SD card slot, slightly bigger & heavier.

For software it has - Calendar, contacts, clock, calculator and web browser (same as a touch) as well as Tasks, Notepad, Memos (which could be added to a jailbreaked touch).

TX is £207, touch 8GB is £199.

I think most if not all Windows PDA's are going to be smartphones now, not a pure PDA.
  4. Thinkband

Thinkband New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I am a testimonial about using standard PDA's/Pocket PC's for MP3 players and even wifi.

Opinion? Ipod is the only way to go with music. (I suppose Zune is fine too because it has gotten good reviews but you wanted wifi and stuff so it is not what your looking for).

I had both a Palm Tungsten G and a dell branded pocket pc. Both costed me $400 at the time that I bought them and I really tried to use them for music. I am fairly good with computers and figuring stuff out but the process of getting music on your pocket pc is just as buggy as using the software required to do so, windows media player. Not saying Windows Media Player is really that bad, but Itunes is heaps better.

Wifi was questionable as well. My dell top of the line PDA that was all about its easy wifi and bluetooth... neither really worked. The range was awful, I had to sit in front of my router to get signal.

I think what apple did was not just making a solid MP3 player into wifi machine, but did it flawlessly. Yes people have their gripes about the touch but when it comes down to its two selling points, internet and music, it does it better than anything before.

My recomendation is you did what I did, buy a touch, and if you really do not like it, sell it on ebay.
  5. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Well I don't know if you have T-Mobile near you...But I hear the T-Mobile Wing is suppose to be really good.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Size: 2.3 x 4.3 x 0.7 inches
    Weight: 6 ounces
    Included battery: Li-Ion polymer
    Talk time: up to 4 hours
    Standby time: up to 6 days
    Band (frequency): 850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz

* Instant messaging: Yahoo!®, MSN®, and AOL®*
    * Text messaging*

* 2.0 megapixel camera
    * Video camera
    * Windows Media® Player
    * MegaTones®, Wallpaper, HiFi Ringers®, & Games*

* Built-in QWERTY Keypad
    * E-mail*
    * myFaves capable*
    * Bluetooth® wireless technology

* GPRS/EDGE and Wi-Fi enabled*
    * Voice-activated functions
    * Micro SD memory slot
    * Real web browsing*

* Windows Mobile®
    * Wireless calendar synchronization with Outlook
  6. ARUS

ARUS New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    No there are not comparable alternatives with the demands you posted on the market.
    Palm's browser blazer is really bad and slowly.I ve used it on my old Palm Lifedrive, and now the Safari is a really new experience in terms of surfing and videos or podcasts.
  7. wan3212

wan3212 New Member

Sep 23, 2007
  8. monaural

monaural New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Nokia N800. Runs a form of linux, wifi, skype capablities. Third party apps without jailbreaking, media players that use inertial scrolling. Of course, it does have a crappier screen, it is bigger(not by much though) and support for "webapps" and websites that are made for it are less. Expandable memory, by sd card also.
    I ended up with an ipod touch. I wanted the 16gb, and support in my car, and alarm clock.
  9. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Well I would argue that some of the Pros you mention are questionable. For example, hard drive emulation is only available when you Jail Break the Touch. It's not a "standard" feaure and may or may not work in the future. And while it has good audio qualities I feel that the Touch is limited because it only supports ACC and MP3/4. No Ogg support (unless you can get that with JB) and you must use iTunes to synch. iTunes is OK but I hate that Apple forces me to put QuickTime on my computer to use iTunes. (As I recall Microsoft got all kinds of grief when they made it hard to use other web browsers). The Touch also doesn't do HD resolution video as some other devices do.

If you want good PDA functionality and your more Windows centric you might take a look at some of the Windows Mobile phones available. The new Tilt from ATT Wireless is a good combination of PDA, Phone and multimedia player. Of course it is Windows based so if you're more Mac/Apple centric this may not work for you. The Tilt has WiFi as well as 3G cellular data. It supports Windows Office applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint. You can put other applications on it like ebook readers, mileage trackers and games. It synch well with Windows computers (don't know about Macs) using Active Synch. It integrated with Exchange email and Outlook Calendar functions. It is bulkier than the Touch but it also does more (IMHO). It also has GPS capabilities.

Personally I chose a Touch and a Windows Mobile Smartphone. The phone is my PDA/organizer and the Touch is my audio/video player. It is one extra device to carry but if the phone dies I am not without the Touch and vice versa.
  10. steved

steved New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Wow, the last post sounds just like me, (I asked the original question here). I did buy and have initially setup a 16gb touch. Like the previous poster, I do use windows and hate itunes' intrusiveness too. But the elegance of the touch safari browser makes it all great. Even though I am a windows user ( I do high end 3d graphics development and the macs just aren't there yet - but getting better), I prefer NOT to use Windows PDA stuff ( outlook, word, excel, ...- like a lot of real pc users, i prefer to stay away from MS apps - see my orig post for what I want to use) and in that vein all the web based tools work great. I just do not have the typical mobile mind set. why bother syncing and resync tools (like cal) when you can just use a web based tools the same way you do on your main computers (I have many - home, office, lab, laptop, classroom). the touch has shown me that a small (but really well thought out interface) can be used well with regular web tools, so one method (and server memory) for seeing/editing my data/ my virtual brain. no dumb special mobile sized apps, no phone company connectivity pricing - this is the wave of the future. wifi w/ smart browsing - again if this thing had a voice in for voip and a bit more memory - why use a phone (a phone company) and a pda again.

Some thoughts (if anyone cares) from a linux/windows guy using for the first time any apple, ipod or ipod touch systems:

- the touch was very intuitive once I understood a couple of conventions ( had to figuire out fast how to turn the thing sideways to lower the volume of the very first song I put on that was blowing out my ears. I love it so far.
    - the keyboard in horizontal mode is fast, fast, fast - no pen needed - hardly making errors
    - itunes in not very intuitive to me and very money oriented ( buy, buy, buy):
    - damn, I actually had to give my credit card number just to get my touch setup via the required itunes - that is really, really bad - apple should be ashamed and put in a way to get around that if you don't intend on buying anything - which I don't).
    - how come the tunes store search can not search for free items (price field), as I just wanted to load up my touch with an example: song, movie, podcast. while I found free stuff, I could not figure out how to search that way (ok I'm a newbie). in general the site seems very consumerism oriented (but in your face so - reminded me of Windows media player - I somehow thought apple would be better about the yahoo, msn all about buying the newest thing deal).
    - itunes seems quite dumb on a windows machines, automatically getting music from the 'my music' folder- no one serious uses that folder, I had other weird issues too.
    - itunes didn't deal with my music collection easily, even though it is a basic open source style ( winamp, p2p,metatags)

- love the touch's picture zoom mode. I am a graphics guy - so I need to see details. I have a paper i'm writing on Rembrandt's use of texture to affect you eye movement through the picture - god how easy it was to describe to my wife via the touch.

the touch is great so far and will be an amazing pim for me. thank the lord the that the community and JB is here (haven't loaded it yet) since apple seems not to be thinking of this product right - and the farther away from itunes I can get the better.