WiFi only works when connected via USB!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by surge_joebot, Dec 14, 2008.

1. surge_joebot

surge_joebot New Member

I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch (32Gig) I have had it for about 6 to 8 months and have never really had any issues with the WiFi. I have a Belkin G+ MIMO router at home and have connected to it with the iPod without fault since I bought it.

The other day I updated iTunes and the Software for the iPod from 2.1 to 2.2 like most people probably have done recently. Now, I am having problems with the WiFi. It seems it refuses to connect to it now. It can see it but when trying to connect it wont give my iPod an IP address. I know the router is fine cos I connected my PSP to my router and a friends 2nd Gen 32 Gig iPod, and they both get an IP and can browse the internet fine.

Now HERE IS THE WIERD BIT!! - The WiFi works COMPLETELY fine when I connect the iPod to the computer via USB!!! How the hell does that make any sense??! It completely makes a mockery of the wireless feature when I have to have a 1 metre cable attached whenever I wanna use the internet!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just to let you know, I have since done 2 full restore's on my iPod, and have even tried restoring just the software on its own (no music, apps etc) and it still has the same problem. It MUST be the firmware but how does one downgrade to version 2.1 again without the iPod being Jailbroken???

Any help would be greatly appreciated - or even if I just find out a few other people are experiencing the same problem as me as I cant find any other related issues via google searches.

As mentioned before, I have tried 2 restores, I've tried disabling WPA so it needs no password to connect to me router, I've tried with static IP addressing... nothing seems to fix it, yet the second I connect the USB cable... WOW! Now it connects fine!!

Can someone help me make sense of things please?? Before I go insane and throw this thing at the wall!!!

If anyone needs any further info do not hesitate to ask and I'll be happy to provide it!

Many thanks in advance,

Surge
  2. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats wierd, doesn't make any sense to either.

try this if you want to downgrade (dunno if it works.) Download the ipod touch 2g 2.1.1 firmware from Here. Hold shift and press restore in itunes (assuming your on a PC, not a mac) and choose the file you just downloaded. this will (hopefully) downgrade you ipod to 2.1.1.

Good luck

Welcome to ipodtouchfans by the way

3. surge_joebot

surge_joebot New Member

Thanks for the welcome

Should I install a 2g firmware on my 1g iPod though?? Shouldn't i install the correct generations' version??

Just dont wanna screw it up any more.
  4. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh sprry, i didnt see you had 1g

but yeah download the 1g version fom the same place.
  5. surge_joebot

surge_joebot New Member

Okay thanks for the advice - I will try this tonight and let you know how I get on.

If it does work I might send the info on to Apple and see if this is a bug fix then can sort out, as I really would have liked to use the extra featues with the software upgrade.

Will keep you posted on how things go.

Thanks again...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well, just restored to version 2.1 and, surprise surprise, everything is working fine now!!

So it looks like v2.2 is dodgy for some 1g iPod touch's - mine included. I will pass this bug on to Apple and hope they sort it for v2.3.

Looks like I'll have to miss this update.

Thanks for all your help epqr, you've taught me a new thing and saved my iPod from bouncing off the nearest wall!

Cheers mate!
  6. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  7. surge_joebot

surge_joebot New Member

Looks like I spoke too soon

The WiFi has packed in all together now. It slowly got less and less of a signal and now it just says "No WiFi"

Think its dead. Looks like its off onto ebay for my 1G. Ah well.