WiFi not working

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lobaeux, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Lobaeux

Lobaeux New Member

First, before I delve into why my wifi isn't working, let me get an answer to a very basic question. As I understand it, when the wifi is on, there should be a little 'wifi' symbol in the upper left hand corner, next to the little 'ipod' correct?

What should I do if it's not there? I've clicked on wifi, turned it on, selected my network, get the little wifi symbol next to the blue arrow, but still get the 'can't find the server' message when i go to safari?

Is there something else I need to do to turn the wifi on? I've got the 8GB version, brand new, just got it today. I know on the PSP, you have to flip the little wifi switch, but there doesn't appear to be one on the ipod touch, other than in the settings, wifi section.

I've removed all my hair from rying to fix this, I'm running a linksys wrt54g router, only thing hooked up to it is my laptop.
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The icon on the top of the screen only shows up when you get a live "good" connection. You seem to be having problems getting onto the network you have selected. Even when they show up sometimes and even if they dont seem password protected you sometimes still cant get onto them.

So make sure the network your on isnt MAC address protected if it is and its your own network just add the ipods MAC address to the safe list. If thats not it, try another wireless network.
  3. Lobaeux

Lobaeux New Member

No dice, wireless MAC filter is disabled Still won't work.
    I can connect, will it says connected to my network with a checkmark, but there's no IP addy's, routers or servers listed in the network settings on the ipod. Both my laptop and now the xbox will connect to the router, but not the ipod touch.
    Weird, not sure what would cause it. Can't be security settings, I've tried it with WAP, WEP and no security at all, no firewall, no nothing. The XBOX and the laptop connect just fine, I'm starting to think it's the ipod that may be off.
    I haven't tried connecting to another network, that will be my next step, after that, if it doesn't work, this baby's going back to the store.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sounds like an issue with your DHCP settings - you're not being assigned an IP address for some reason. You might try to manually set it up - put in static IP address (use a free one maybe 1 off from your laptop), put in the same router, same DNS, etc. from your laptop.
  5. drhanki

drhanki New Member

same problem

hello i am having the same problem, except that i am getting asigned a ip and subnet mask, the router and dns... is not getting asigned. do you know why or how to fix this problem.
  6. justin380

justin380 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ive had similar to the same problem with my home network sometimes you just have to go into settings to pick your network and keep selecting it and reselecting it. Its def not a problem with the wifi cuz your laptop works but just keep foolin around with it cuz sometimes your ipod doesnt know what the f*** its doin
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The solution for this is usually to set the DNS to the same thing as the Router (i.e. for linksys, it is 192.168.1.1). Just delete everything else in DNS and type that.
  8. catherine

catherine New Member

I am having the same problem too. It hooks to the network and the little icon is strong but then "can't find server" It has an IP address different from my computer and a different subnet mask, no router assigned or DNS (what IS that?) and I can't change the numbers on the ipod.
  9. BoostedTT91

BoostedTT91 New Member

wi fi

i just got my ipod touch today and i also cant get it connected. the only newwark listed wont dont anything. do u have to pay extra for the safari and u tube feature works or what? how do u get it to work? thanks
  10. iJuanjo

iJuanjo New Member

same problem! i have a linksys too. it was working fine since i got my touch about two weeks ago. n then I turned off WiFi last nite to save battery life n since this mornin it won't connect. it will hardly find my linksys network, n when it finds it, it won't connect! it has never been able to get me through safari or you tube with the other networks either, only with linksys. someone help please!