Wifi Network Locked

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bsand, Oct 16, 2007.

1. bsand

bsand New Member

I can enter networks outside of home but not my own. The Touch has a tick mark beside my network and shows strong signal but has a lock and I cannot unlock. I am using a sympatico speedstream siemens 6520 modem but sympatico does not know how to fix it. I put in the wep number but still no success. What can I do?
  2. calevans

calevans Retired Moderator

allrighty, so its probably your dns settings. heres what to do:

-settings
    -wifi
    -blue arrow next to connected network
    -change dns to 208.67.222.222

that should solve your problem, post back.
  3. bsand

bsand New Member

It still says safari can't open page because it can't find server. There is nothing in ip address or subnet mask or router and I added dns as per your instructions.
  4. greenrick

greenrick New Member

208.67.222.222 just solved my identical problem; thanks! When I bought the Touch, it worked effortlessly with my Linksys wireless router. That router failed, and when I replaced it with a "more advanced" N router, my laptops received good wireless Internet access, but the Touch stopped working with Safari and Youtube apps. Yet the Touch worked fine on public wifi at local coffee shop. I fiddled with a bunch of Linksys configuration settings but nothing helped till I just tried your 208.67.222.222! Can you briefly explain what this setting is, and why it works? Much thanks, Rick
  5. greenrick

greenrick New Member

Someone just explained to me that 208.67.222.222 points to OpenDNS. His explanation:
    That DNS setting is to openDNS (which is a great DNS to use!). It appears that the Touch may not know how to update the DNS, so using this one will always work, which is a clever work around.

BTW, I use openDNS at home now and get MUCH better speed on the internet when going to websites.

Visit http://www.opendns.com/ for more info.
  6. Mattyoak

Mattyoak New Member

Nice explanation!
  7. calevans

calevans Retired Moderator