wifi issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mcatusf, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mcatusf

mcatusf New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am having an issue connecting to the internet via safari. i can connect to the router (I get ip and subnet) but i cannot seem to achieve DNS. any suggestions.
    As a side note, does one need to actually synch to itunes before connecting via wifi?
  2. flapper

flapper New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Not routing via a proxy server are you. Maybe you have a firewall setup on your router which isn't allowing traffic out from your device?? It sounds to me like a router issue as the device sounds like it's happily talking to the router as it should.

No need to connect to iTunes before connecting via wifi.
  3. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    forward your ports?
  4. mcatusf

mcatusf New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    without sounding like a complete arse how do i find out the ports utilized?
    for a more expidited solution would yall contact me via aim or otherwise
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    UPDaTE: ok so i was able to connect to my next-door neighbor's network which is not protected. This raises a question in my mind: does the type of network security (WEP WPA) matter? If so which is the more easy type of password protection? on a lynksys router what is the best setup, ouside of no protection, for a touch 2g
  5. entireit

entireit New Member

Only way to know is placing the IP address for your Ipod into the DMZ of the router to avoid potential port problems.

Ignore above you obviously solved it

As for wep or wpa it's almost chalk and cheese with the security level differences wpa is far more secure. I find the best with either one is first make sure you stop broadcasting your SSID to the world and adjust the power which in turn reduces the broadcast range. I use a cisco aironet 1200 so not sure how many of these options are free to configure for linksys
  6. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

Reset router?