WiFi internet sharing works only for a minute

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mrn, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Mrn

Mrn New Member

Hi Guys,
    I tried the Touch to connect through a shared Ethernet-to-Airport through
    an Intel MacBook Pro, and it seems that after a minute the connection is lost.
    Or at least no data is sent through until I stop and restart the Airport on the Macbook.
    Really strange, coz I see the download bar in Youtube simply stopping after a minute in the middle... but under the Settings > WiFi on the iPod the connection is still shown as being alive..
    - I tried to share a 3.5 G (HSDPA) modem connection, and Ethernet
    connections at 3 different places with the same result

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thnx in advance!
    Mrn
  2. Pety

Pety New Member

Hi Mrn.
    I have the same problem and also with a router wifi connection. Mine is a 40th week ipod, and it seems to have an inestable wifi connection.I will Apple on Monday.
    Bye
  3. trankillity

trankillity New Member

I've noticed that unless you're constantly getting data through WiFi to your iPod then it will auto-sleep the WiFi connection (even though it says it's connected) in order to save battery life. This is where the majority of issues with the SSH/SFTP jailbreaking connection refused problems originated. All I did to make it work again was browse a page in safari to keep the connection alive.
  4. Mrn

Mrn New Member

I have tried with Firewall On, Firewall Off, WEP on, WEP off (no encryption),
    Airport channel, 1, 6, 8 Automatic ...
    same result!
    Ok, Now I am trying to open a page as trankillity suggested
    to wake up the connection...., just a sec .... DOES NOT HELP.

Edit2: Even youtube stops in the middle of a download, ie. like after one min, which means that the connection was active and not idle, and still stoppped.
    There must be a bigger forum on this topic, it is strange that
    it is only 2-3 guys with this problem. The rest of us does not use the WiFi?!?! I start to feel that the problem is (at least partially) at the connection sharing computer side:

Edit2: After deactivating the firewall, and also, trying Firewall with the Personal Web Sharing ON the WiFi sharing works again. For one minute. Then Re-scanning and reconnecting on the iPod side does NOT help to reestablish the connection, but restarting the internet sharing on the Macbook side does. So, now it seems that there is some auto-sleep mode
    of the Internet connection sharing on the Macbook?!? (The iPod does not say that the connection is lost, neither disappears the connection icon, only, there is no content...)
  5. mvhshacker

mvhshacker New Member

Did any of you have something opened that could of affected the wifi like a wifi log because I had the same problem. Were it would stay logged in until I tried to access the Internet (safari, installer, web clips, etc.). So try closing everything that isn't nessesary.
    Hopes this helps.

Please Register or Log in to view images