WiFi - Hidden Network Dropping

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jpolits, Apr 10, 2008.

1. jpolits

jpolits New Member

I'm having an issue staying connected to a hidden wireless access point that my PowerBook is able to stay connected to. The access point uses WPA-Personal and TKIP encryption.

My Touch will connect, get a valid ip and then it drops the connection. Or else I'll try to load a page in safari and then it drops.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    how did you connect to the network if its hidden?

Did you try it with your Computer? and get the IP Address??

and used the IP address on your touch??

for the encryption did you type a password?
  3. Redshift

Redshift New Member

I don't think the touch supports WPA encryption. That's probably your problem.
  4. jpolits

jpolits New Member

Simply, hidden means the name of the access point isn't broadcast. This means that you have to know the name of the access point and select "Other..." when trying to connect to it for the first time.

When selecting "Other..." it gives you options for the security type and WEP, WPA, and WPA2 are all options, so support for the function shouldn't be the issue.

Also, another person in my office has an iphone and it keeps dropping the signal also, but he is able to load a page or check mail before it drops.
  5. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah but it really is hidden though, I'm asking becuase at work I found a Hidden Network, and I can't find it with my regular Wi-Fi on the iPod.