WIFI Help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrgrimsby, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mrgrimsby

mrgrimsby New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Merry Christmas to all here!
    I was lucky enough to get a second generation ipod touch today (16gb) and it is perfect and I love it but I have a serious problem ...it will not connect to the internet via wifi....I have been trying to get it to work all DAY!!!! and I cannot fathom it out....I only stopped for christmas dinner and my poor kids have been jumping up and down on the wii fit on their own all day!!! Poor kids . they don't deserve it at all but I just will not give up when I cant sort something out........but I have to admit I am thinking I have a duff ipod even though it is pixel perfect and everything works great...except for wifi and lets face it its just an mp3 player without wifi (well not quite)...
    I have a linsys wrt54gs router connected to a cable modem ..currently I have the WII a PSP four DS's and a laptop hooked up to the system with no bother at all but this ipod will not play the game..I can connect 50 items to the router so its not a overload issue ..please please help me just so I can give my kids some attention!!!
    Thanks in anticipation of help.
    Pete (nearly drunk and suicidal)
    Isle of wight
  2. Joey1558

Joey1558 New Member

I used to have a linksy, but now i have a buffalo...i used to know quite a bit about router issues as i hosted servers from my home, but i forgot most of my knowledge...if you dont find and answer soon I'm am going to look into this for you.

i got an ipod 16g 2g today as well, would not connect to my router. But i forgot i have my fouter locked(so random ppl cant get on my internet like my neighbor or somin)...neway what i had to do was go into the config of my router and allow my WiFi adress of my ipod to my router

so go to your router and allow the wifi adress to traffic threw your router

the way you get your ipod adress is Setting>general>about>then scroll down to wifi adress

good luck
  3. itouchuser08

itouchuser08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    did you setup the wireless portion of your router.
  4. mrgrimsby

mrgrimsby New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes the router appears to be running ok and the ipod can see my router but its not getting the ip address and other info all my other wifi things get automatically I have tried manually inputting ip addresses subnet masks ect still nothing...the ease i connected my kids Ds's ans psp ect has made me think the ipod is not properly set up but i just do not know. all bloomin day ive been stuck on this pc looking for an answer and I am no nearer now than i was this morning!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. ipodmanfan

ipodmanfan New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hi, are you sure you are entering the wpa/wep key correctly on the i pod touch, as you know the key is case sensitive and you may well be entering capitals when lower case is needed etc. Also the keypad on the i pod touch can be rather tricky, you may well think you have entered a letter but sometimes your finger presses the next letter by mistake so look carefully at the screen what you enter, I hope this helps and you get connected soon.
  6. mrgrimsby

mrgrimsby New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have entered the key about 50 times , i am sure it was corrrect at least one time. I even turned off all security and it still would not connect
  7. itouchuser08

itouchuser08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    which firmware is on your 2g touch
  8. mrgrimsby

mrgrimsby New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    2.2 (5G77a)
  9. itouchuser08

itouchuser08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    What you want to do know, is forget the name of your network and let your 2g touch, see it again and enter the password again for your network.
  10. mrgrimsby

mrgrimsby New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My network is called mrgrimsby and my ipod touch shows this name and when i put in the wep key a tick appears on the left of the name and th signal shows stron on the right with a padlock symdol ans an blue arrow . when i press the blue arrow I am in the mrgrimsby page which is set to DHCP and HTTP proxy is set to off (by default I think) but all the other bits like ip address , subnet mask, router, Dns, search domains and client id are blank...nothing there at all.it's baffling...why cant apple make this wifi thing easy like nintendo ands sony do??? Does my head in it does...im off to bed! goodnight all.