WIFI doesnt work at my house but everywhere else

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shadow_moses, Oct 12, 2007.

1. shadow_moses

shadow_moses New Member

any suggestions. when i enter my password for the wifi it looks like it is connected but it says safari cannot find server.
  2. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not sure if this is the issue; but I made this mistake first, so I'm just sharing experience... Don't be offended if anything.

If you are using WEP or RADIUS like myself; be sure that your password is NOT the passphrase you enter into your router, but instead, one of the keys it generated for you from your passphrase. It should be... If my memory doesn't fail me, 26 characters in length if you are using 128bits encryption like you are suppose to; but only 10 characters in length if you are using the simple 64bits encryption.
  3. calevans

calevans Retired Moderator

it could be a problem with your dns settings. try this.

-settings
    -wifi
    -turn on wifi if its not on
    -tap blue arrow next to your network
    -change dns to 208.67.222.222

that should work.
  4. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Had the same problem. Held down the sleep and home buttons until the ipod turned off. Then held down the home button until the "slide to unlock" screen came up, Expecting it would do a force restore. It didnt. So i slid to unlock, and everything has been working perfectly.

Yeah, i screwed up my jailbreak. Forgot to turn off the firwall on the routher.

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you do what i did, expect a forced restore. Not sure why it didn't restore for me, but it seemed to do SOMETHING.
  5. shadow_moses

shadow_moses New Member

thanks for the advice. hope i can get it to work. it would be a pain in the ass having to go to a wifi hotspot to jailbreak it.
  6. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    While it would ne a pita to unlock it at a hotspot, in all honesty if you cannot get wireless easily, there is almost no incentive in breaking it (well, okay, so you can add events in calendar, but what else can you do that you cant already do w/o jailbreaking, w/o wifi?)

Edit: ara? I didnt restore and i set everything back to japanese, but now it reports as ipod touch instead of iphone???
  7. shadow_moses

shadow_moses New Member

how do i find that?
  8. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Go to your router config page via browser on your PC, on mine, that's http://192.168.1.1 you should check your manual.

You will be asked to log in. If you haven't changed the default, it should (as most linksys routers do) be admin for username and <blank> (litterally, don't enter anything) for password. If you did, it would be whatever you changed it to.

Then, go Wireless, Wireless Security, and check the table listing. You should see something like this or something very different:
    名称未設定-1.jpg

*I've blurred out my pass phrase and working key for privacy issues

You should choose the Key # that is appearing in the TX Key at the bottom (hence why I only blurred out the first one).
  9. shadow_moses

shadow_moses New Member

worked like a charm. much thanks to you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. lilblondedude

lilblondedude New Member

I have found that simply tapping 'forget this network' and then re-joining the network works.

Strange, the simple soloution has never worked for me before!